GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my DIC displayed coolant level low, and it does under extreme conditions run a lil hot so i need to get it fixed. Checked the cap tight as anything. My real question is taking it the dealership a bad idea, or should i trust this kind of job to jus a random mechanic, anyone got in recommendations in the Hampton roads (Va) area. And do y'all thinks its a head gasket. and how much should i expect to pay for this job

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
A slight temp increase under extreme conditions is not unusual, nor hard to deal with. May need a coolant change , t-stat, etc. Anyone who calls themselves a mechanic can do this. If you had a head gasket problem, you can find it coming out of the exhaust or the oil may start getting a "chocalte milkshake" type of look to it. Fluid getting into the oil. have you ever added any coolant. The 1996 Jimmy takes about 3 oz. a month. Just goes bye-bye.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I'd just fill it up with some more coolant and keep an eye on it for a while. It's not uncommon for a little to overflow every now and then when it gets hot. Low coolant doesn't necessarily mean there's a leak in the system.

But yes, the headgasket is a common spot for a leak. I hate dealerships, so I'd take it to my mechanic at an independent shop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked the oil, it was a lil high, but it didn't look odd to me. I cannot the cap open on the surge tank to check the coolant any reason for this, it wasnt hot. Also i've seem very small leak spots on my drive way from my truck, smell like coolant. i just got this truck so i dont know if this is normal or what, and i havnt added fluid. thanks

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
do you know where that leak is coming from?

·
Registered
209 Posts
im a tech at a dealer. you dont really see headgaskets go on these trucks. it does happen but you really dont see if often. most of the time coolant loss is the water pump i would have that checked. just find a good shop you trust and have them do a pressure test on the coolant system if there is a leak they will find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts