GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddies 95 4.3 m/trans Sierra is leaking coolant from the back of the engine, thought it was the lower intake manifold gasket but its not.
when we poured water in the radiator and the water just came out the back with the engine off, any of you have any ideas or any tests i can do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll go with first..... Intake gasket, the ones I have personally done have came down the passengers side.

Second would be a freeze plug, there are a set behind the bell housing and will leak most of the time from the TC inspection cover.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can pressure test it, but as others have indicated, you will find it's the intake manifold. A very common problem on the 4.3.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not on that model but yes. Be careful getting the old one out that you don't damage the side of the opening or you'll have a bitch getting the new one to seal. I don't know what kind of clearance you have but you will most likely have to pull the exhaust manifold. When driving the new one in make sure to it square (don't cock it), and use a sealant inside the hole and around the edge of the new plug.

Someone used to make an expandable rubber plug, but I've never used one. The concept sounds ok, I just don't know how well they hold up. You put the plug in and use a wrench which expanded the plug when tightened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts