GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked this before on PT.net and basically been turned down. Would it be beneficial to put some sort of intercooler or something to help cool and charge the air coming into the engine? I was just doing some logging at lunch and my IAT temps were 95*+, now granted it's about 85* out right now. Everyone always focuses on trying to get lower track times when the weather is cool. Why not have cool air year round with some sort of air cooling system? Just a thought because everyone knows how much these LSx engines LOVE cool air.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Not sure if the load the a/c system (or whatever system you would use) wouldn't offset any bennefit...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
hes saying that whatever you use to cool the air would prob put a load on the engine and nullify the gain

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
I think it would be more of a restriction that anything, you dont have anything to draw it threw the intercooler with. on my truck it will eat up about 2psi threw the cooler.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Throw a couple bags of ice on your intake tube:pepper:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought it might do that, just trying to think of something to help keep IATs as low as possible

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
id be happy with 95, i see 110-130 with my truck beating on it, and ive logged a few radix trucks upwards of 150+

·
Registered
350 Posts
Honestly though you could try to secure a couple bags of ice onto the intake tube and log it, and make some runs to see if it helped you any. It would be an experiment to see if it would really be worth making a device to cool the intake.

·
Registered
19,437 Posts
Have you ever seen those old skool headache releivers that look like a mask but it is filled with something that you freeze......just take one of those and wrap it around you intake tube!! It would prolly last a run or two...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Not worth the time, a few degrees over ambient isn't that bad.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
only thing you could do is enclose your air box to keep at engine heat out and then route a "ram air" pipe from the front of the truck to the enclosed air box.

like said before an A/A intercooler on a N/A engine would actually hurt the performance of your truck.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts