GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that this should work on 03-07 classic Delphi radios.

As we all know, 03+ Delphi radios are VIN-locked and can only be swapped between vehicles if the radio has been programmed with that VIN. I purchased a radio back in December to swap in to my brother's 03 rcsb, as his OEM CD player no longer functioned. Also, I chose to get a radio with a cassette deck so I could easily add an aux input for his iPod. Seeing how he has still yet to take his truck to the dealership to get the radio programmed to his VIN, I began to wonder where the VIN information was stored at in the radio. With this curiosity, I took his old radio out today and began searching the main board for an EEPROM. As luck would have it, I found one in the middle of the board. I googled the information that I found written on the EEPROM and decided to remove it from the board to see what would happen. Since it was already VIN locked to his truck, I decided to try it in my 05. Believe it or not, it worked. With this in mind, I tore apart the new radio. Here are the steps to making it work.

For starters, here is the radio that I am using.
010.gif

First things first, turn the radio over to the bottom and remove the bottom cover. (thanks for letting me steal your photo, Garrett! I forgot to take one.)
DSCN2047-1.jpg

Once you get the bottom off, remove the cassette player (if equipped). Under the cassette player is the main board of the radio.
This "Cal-Err" message appears for about 2 seconds when the radio first receives power. This still allows the radio to retain the door chimes, presets, EQ and other features.

I'll get some better photos tomorrow when I add the aux-input and button it up. Hopefully this will save you guys the $70 at the stealership to reprogram the radio. :shake:

·
GMC Owner
1,281 Posts
Awesome job man, I'm sure this will help tons of people and save them some money in the process.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I wished the nnbs would be the same, now you have me thinking??? I might open the old nnbs radio I have to look for something similar

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
does it keep saying cal err?

·
get down or lay down
1,284 Posts
nice job. this should be stickied somewhere.

·
hotdogfarts
2,287 Posts
Nope. It only says it for the first two seconds when the radio is powered on. I'll get a video later once I put it back in the truck.
does it do it every single time you turn the truck on? Or just the initial start up of the truck after pulling the eprom?

I am anal enough just to NOT see the cal error every time i turned the key on I would pay the dealership haha. Still pretty badass to have figured that out.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
stuck

·
Registered
860 Posts
have you tried leaving the eeprom on and just lifting up the #8 pin, that may help take away the ERROR at the beginning.

·
QuadraSteernado
8,385 Posts
:hmm:

Have some wacky hack to get the XM feature working with out Tech2? :jester:

Do want ghetto wired aux input

DNW to fork $75 to dealer to program the goddamn radio

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
okay, so this is only for the theft lock? What if you buy a non bose radio and want it programmed for bose? Then I guess you still have to see Mr. Goodwrench? Removing the prom will always net in seeing cal-error for the first 2 sec? Pretty cool though - thanks for posting your findings!

Mr. 960

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This doesn't reprogram any options. The whole purpose of an EEPROM is to save information when the device has no power to it. As far as I know, only the VIN is stored in this EEPROM. By removing it, you are only keeping the truck from obtaining the VIN from the radio. I'm sure the other settings are stored in another controller elsewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
is there something missing on the first post? edit: found on another site, here is missing info
Let me preface this by saying that this should work on 03-07 classic Delphi radios.

As we all know, 03+ Delphi radios are VIN-locked and can only be swapped between vehicles if the radio has been programmed with that VIN. I purchased a radio back in December to swap in to my brother's 03 rcsb, as his OEM CD player no longer functioned. Also, I chose to get a radio with a cassette deck so I could easily add an aux input for his iPod. Seeing how he has still yet to take his truck to the dealership to get the radio programmed to his VIN, I began to wonder where the VIN information was stored at in the radio. With this curiosity, I took his old radio out today and began searching the main board for an EEPROM. As luck would have it, I found one in the middle of the board. I googled the information that I found written on the EEPROM and decided to remove it from the board to see what would happen. Since it was already VIN locked to his truck, I decided to try it in my 05. Believe it or not, it worked. With this in mind, I tore apart the new radio. Here are the steps to making it work.

For starters, here is the radio that I am using.
010.gif

First things first, turn the radio over to the bottom and remove the bottom cover. (thanks for letting me steal your photo, Garrett! I forgot to take one.)
DSCN2047-1.jpg

Once you get the bottom off, remove the cassette player (if equipped). Under the cassette player is the main board of the radio. In the middle, you will find the 8-pin EEPROM, labeled 9355093 ST, that stores the VIN information. There is more info on the EEPROM HERE.
f31e9ccc.gif

79709b58.gif

Now you're going to prepare to remove the EEPROM from the board. I advise you, if you haven't done any electronics work, be VERY cautious and do this AT YOUR OWN RISK! Personally, I used a small soldering iron along with some solder-wick and a pair of hemostats to pull it off of the board after removing the solder.

After you remove it from the board, this is what you should be left with.
1c2ceda4.gif

Once it's in the truck, it should work.
80dcdd45.gif

44de1f15.gif

This "Cal-Err" message appears for about 2 seconds when the radio first receives power. Since the EEPROM is no longer on the board, it cannot validate the VIN and goes about functioning normally. This still allows the radio to retain the door chimes, presets, EQ and other features.

I'll get some better photos tomorrow when I add the aux-input and button it up. Hopefully this will save you guys the $70 at the stealership to reprogram the radio. :shake:

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I'm not sure how that got gone. And since we can no longer edit our posts, I can't change it. I did notice, it seems the bass/mid/treble settings reset each time the unit is powered off.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts