GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I was just curious, how would it affect sound if the subs are rated at .55-.8 cuft of airspace, but the enclosure has over .8?

also, how much room do you need to allow for sub movement over the mounting depth? Im goin w/ Alpine Type Rs w/ a mounting depth of 6" in a reg cab truck, so its gonna have to be pretty tight.

Any tips are appreciated. I think ive got the amp wiring figured out w/ the help of Dave (00Silverado) and Steve (Y2KSierra). But wondered if anybody had any links to air space calculators? Ive got about a foot (13") to play w/ depth wise behind the seats, w/o moving them forward, and plan on putting the amp in the center.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
a smaller box gives tighter, faster bass. A larger box gives deeper, slower bass. If you go way over .8 ft^3, you may be able to port it, depending on how big it really is. A small box needs a long port to be tuned right, to sound good.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K, so w/ the mounting depth of the sub at 6", I will need to make the top depth of the box like 6.5" and then the bottom depth as much over 6.5" depending on how much of an angle i want the subs at correct?

also, what I meant by room was, how much space do i need to allow from the magnet to the rear wall of the box? I was told somewhere that 2x the diameter of the pole vent if equipped and the Alpines have one, is that correct? thanks.

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
I've built 3 different boxes for regular cab trucks.

I've always measured how much room I have at the bottom without moving the seats forward first. Then I choose a point on the back wall where I want the top of the box to stop, measure from the floor up to that point, and then measure the distance between that point on the back wall to the seat. Generally box height has been around 15" tall.
You shouldn't have a problem really, if the mounting depth is 6", you should be able to make the bottom of the box 9" deep at least, and just mount the subs as close to the bottom as possible.

I've never worried about room for the magnet or room behind the magnet, and not heard of anything like what you mentioned.

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
How much airspace do you have? If the manufacturer recommends 0.55 - 0.8^ ft, that's after displacement. You have to subtract the magnet displacement/volume from your calculated volume. For example, the Kicker S10L7 (which has a pretty big magnet) takes up about 0.065^ft.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent built the box yet, but will make it as big as needed. How would I find out the magnet volume?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts