GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know for the 80e swap for an 02 silverado 1/2 ton that you can modify the crossmember instead of buyin a custom one from speed engineering. but instead of paying 400 bucks to buy a custom front driveline from speed engineerings page here:http://speed-eng.com/store/index.php?cPath=23_78_1995_1996_1997 can i modify this too?!? like does it need to shorten or what. if so how much does it need to be shortened? also i know gm flexplates are like 100 bucks is there really a need for a SPE flexplate? or will the 5.3 flexplate work with the 80e? also with everything needed to swap an 80e into my truck would be the same with a 5.3 as it would a 6.0 right? im asking this because my 60e is going and it slipps pretty bad so i plan on putting the 80e in then a little bit down the road do the 6.0 swap...thanks guys let me know:shake:.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
i still say you do a built 65e...

·
Registered
411 Posts
You dont have to buy the driveline. You need to buy the 80e transmission yoke and have it installed on your driveshaft. Thats it.

I went with a 1350 yoke because it is stronger. Cost me $80 for the yoke. Shouldnt cost much for labor, just be sure to use sealed u-joints. The greasable ones will break!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know how much work its going to be but i figured why get a 65e built and blow it up and then decide to swap to an 80e...oppose to just do an 80e

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Hey Robbie767, what did you do to get a 3" drop in the back of your truck?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
80E swap actually isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be....

Your flexplate depends on the converter you get. You can get 80E converters that have 60/65E footpads. The difference is that the 60/65 is a 3 bolt 11" diameter bolt pattern, and the 80E is a 6 bolt 11.5" diameter pattern. I just used an OEM 80E flexplate with a spacer for mine.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
removed the lift blocks and added 2" shackles

your going to hate this trans, esp with a stock 5.3, and the 65e is fine for what you plan but to each his own

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The 80e is 2"'s longer than a comparable 60e.

The 80e converter has 6 locations it bolts to the flex plate, the 60e converter has 3, they are however concentric. An 80e converter should bolt to a previously used as a 60e flex plate, at least on my L31 it did, but L31's where used in front of 80e's in stock applications.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
your going to hate this trans, esp with a stock 5.3, and the 65e is fine for what you plan but to each his own
:word:

Unless you're putting a significant amount of power to the ground the 80E is overkill...heavier components rob power and the gearing sucks from a dig.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
An 80e converter should bolt to a previously used as a 60e flex plate, at least on my L31 it did, but L31's where used in front of 80e's in stock applications.
Nope! Different diameters on the bolt patterns. Off by 1/2"

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just want it to be really strong because i hear about people on here blowing up 60e trannies almost every couple days! built or stock and i just dont want to have that problem because i want to do a 6.0 w/forced induction and after that who knows what else i just figured i would get to that point first then decide but i dont want to buy a 60/65e and have problems once i have all this stuff done with my motor etc.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
80E swap actually isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be....

Your flexplate depends on the converter you get. You can get 80E converters that have 60/65E footpads. The difference is that the 60/65 is a 3 bolt 11" diameter bolt pattern, and the 80E is a 6 bolt 11.5" diameter pattern. I just used an OEM 80E flexplate with a spacer for mine.
so i can re-use my 60e flexplate with my 80e trans? or should i get an 80e flexplate?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
removed blocks, and did shackles...
And it wound up being 3" not 4"? I figured 2" for blocks, 2" for shackles, no? Does it sit level w/ a 1"/3"? Sorry for the random questions...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
so i can re-use my 60e flexplate with my 80e trans? or should i get an 80e flexplate?
Personally I would get an 80E flexplate. Big power being transferred through 3 bolts instead of 6 makes me nervous. I don't have any examples to back that up though, just my personal preference.

If you're doing a FI 6.0L in the future I'd say an 80E is definitely the way to go. If you need a recommendation on a good 80E builder with a decent price PM me. But you will hate the 80E behind a mostly stock 5.3!

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
well tech the blocks are 1.5"ish so its more like a 3.5, i did the drop on his truck, i actually think the decrank might have got him closer to 2"+ tho since its still high in the back

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
How's the ride w/ it decranked...I've heard it will ride like poo w/ it like that.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
i just want it to be really strong because i hear about people on here blowing up 60e trannies almost every couple days! built or stock and i just dont want to have that problem because i want to do a 6.0 w/forced induction and after that who knows what else i just figured i would get to that point first then decide but i dont want to buy a 60/65e and have problems once i have all this stuff done with my motor etc.
i know of a guy with a radixed 6.0 and he's got an FLT level 5 65e. he hasn't broke it yet.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have edelbrock IAS shocks all the way around so it rides stock!

i will probly hate it behind my 5.3l but my 60e is goin its slippin pretty good right now and i dont want to waste money on another 60e when im going to do 80e anyways. so i will do 80e for now then do the 6.0 asap.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts