GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so heres the scoop, i bought my truck in november and since i have owned it the abs light would come on while driving for a while but as soon as the truck was restarted the light is off. i knew i needed to get it checked but just didnt make time for it. about 2-3 weeks ago the check engine light came on. so i caved and took it in to the stealership. they said that i was throwing codes p0440 and p0449, and that i probably had to replace the evap canister and it was going to cost me 400+ bucks. well i said no and im pretty sure i can do it myself. problem number one, autozone does not know what the evap canister is and cant find it in there system. also is there anything else i should check first to see if it may be something else before buying a canister. second thing. abs. they said that my ehcu is out and the code sent is c0265. going to cost 900 for parts and 1200-1300 for parts and labor. i said no i can do that myself as well. if this is the problem and no way around it where can i get one or have mine rebuilt. autozone can not find this in there system either. i dont know if the person is just stupid or if they dont supply these things. both canister and ehcu look like i can due all the work myself. is there anything i may not have considered as to why i cant do this myself? so there are my problems...what should i do.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
woah... make, model, year, engine? Evap codes are often misleading... First thing never trust the dealer, lol. Have autozone scan it, print them and then clear them all. If and when the light comes back, go back and have them rescan it. Clear out the old, stored codes first... Don't jump to replace stuff this soon.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
If Auto Zone dosen't scan codes.... Don't have the dealer scan for codes, many local auto part stores will do it no charge (Parts America chains ie. Advanced Auto)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry didnt post all. vehicle is a 2000 silverdo ecsb with 5.3. i did have autozone scan and they gave me the same codes p0440 and p0449. i went to the dealer to have it narrowed down and to find out what the abs was. i will clear and see what happens thanks for the advice. i would still like to know where to find the parts for cheap just incase i need to replace. i know i will need to do something about the ABS though. that one has been an ongoing issue. thanks for the help so far.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
One great, all in one, place for inexpensive GM parts is www.gmpartsdirect.com

Request the part numbers from the dealers parts department and punch them into GMPD

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
i had the same codes for evap... i just let it slide and it went out (usually something stupid, just make sure your gas cap is on tight then if nothing check all hoses and stuff.

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
Evap codes suck. Be prepared for a wild goose chase. As far as abs goes, could be the TSB about coroding wheel speed sensors. Basically it says to pull the sensors out of the hub, (you have to pull your front rotors to do this) and to clean the sensor head. Re-lube it and reinstall it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright, i have 20's with 275/45/20 tires, would that really cause the abs code? also the code that is thrown is c0265 and my chilton manual says that the code is- ebcm relay circuit - open. so since this is not a wheel sensor code so should i still pull the sensors and clean them. also the avap codes are p0440 and p0449, the book says the p0440 code is Evaporative emission control system malfuntion. and the p0449 Evaporative emission control system, vent control circuit malfunction. maybe some of you out there can help me determine if this is a quick fix or if i need to replace the canister or what. im about to go outside and clear the codes so that i can see if it pops back up. thanks again for all the help so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i reset the code around 2:00, went to work and came home, i have yet to see the light come on yet, doesnt mean it wont, but its looking good. so about the abs does anyone have any ideas on what it might be or am i going to have to replace the control module.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the check engine light came back on, ill try to swing by autozone tomorrow to check what the code is, looks like something is going to need to be fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts