GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fa Kin Su Pah
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First problem I got is the truck will not take gas when I'm trying to fill up. Ive already replaced the filler neck and the piece that you actually put the nozzle into.
It is throwing a code for no Fuel Ventilation which I know is the problem but what else do I need to check besides the filler neck?

Also sometimes I can turn the key and the truck does nothing. Everything works but the engine wont turn over. I can cycle the key till it finally starts. Any suggestions on this?

Trucks a 04 Sierra

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
I have to think some more on the gas issue, but the starting issue might be a bad lock chamber? will the truck click or do anything? Or does it just not do anything at all?

·
Fa Kin Su Pah
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i could go out there right now and it may crank or it may not. didnt have any problems today.

done it twice yesterday and before that it was a week.

when i switch the key to crank up it does nothing. no clicking like the battery is low or anything.
all lights and everything else works though

·
Registered
8 Posts
i know on my 04 silverado there is some sort a check valve solenoid pos right behind the tank that i had to replace because i could not pump gas fast at all. this did throw a check engine light for fuel/evap

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
It sounds more like a back pressure problem to me. I had the same problems with my frontier a while back and that is what it ended up being. I did have an external fuel pump, but I could easily see this being the problem on a stock pump if something has gone faulty.......Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
are your windshield wipers Rainex?
it was not a pointless question lol.

Bulletin No.: 02-06-05-004b

Date: February 14, 2006

INFORMATION

Subject:
Misfire DTCs P0300, P1380, P1381 and Catalytic Converter Damage Due to Installation of Alarm Systems

Models:
2006 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2006 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2006 and Prior Isuzu Light Duty Trucks

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-05-004A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). General Motors Engineering, in an effort to determine the root cause of catalytic converter damage, has determined that aftermarket alarm systems incorrectly installed in vehicles have the potential to cause misfire codes and damage to the converter. These alarm systems use a circuit interrupt which utilizes the ignition circuit on the vehicles.

These alarm systems utilize mechanical relays and normal vehicle movement can trigger these relays to engage and disengage the ignition circuit while the vehicle is in motion. These disruptions of the ignition circuit, which occur in milliseconds, may cause more fuel to be commanded. Overtime, this dumping of fuel on and off again can cause misfire codes and ultimately damage the converter assembly.

Important: Engineering could not identify any alarms that utilize solid state circuitry that would eliminate this concern. Because of this, it has been determined that all alarm systems must be routed through the starter circuit in order to avoid this condition.

Dealers must be aware of this issue and take note of the wiring on vehicles with alarm systems that come in for repair, particularly for catalytic converter damage that seem to have no known root cause.

:read:

edit: just realized this doesn't have to do with the truck not starting. i know a friend of mine had this exact same problem. i think the cause is the bypass module for aftermarket alarm systems. if you don't have an aftermarket alarm continue about your business lol.

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
It sounds more like a back pressure problem to me. I had the same problems with my frontier a while back and that is what it ended up being. I did have an external fuel pump, but I could easily see this being the problem on a stock pump if something has gone faulty.......Just my 2 cents
This makes sense. Maybe a clogged vent tube somewhere. With no pressure moving out you wont be able to pump at all.

·
Fa Kin Su Pah
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
truck is completely stock. no aftermarket alarm

as far as the fuel goes it takes forever to fill up with fuel cause if you go to fast it will shoot it out the end.
there is another tube that goes into the filler neck that runs to the tank. i havent checket it out

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
truck is completely stock. no aftermarket alarm

as far as the fuel goes it takes forever to fill up with fuel cause if you go to fast it will shoot it out the end.
there is another tube that goes into the filler neck that runs to the tank. i havent checket it out
Yeah, is the is the tube I think you are talking about then it could be clogged, thus, causing a ventilation problem. As far as it taking forever to fill up, it is the same problem, it's not venting letting the fumes out of the tank and causing it to foam up like a carbonated drink. I'm not sure if there is a vent on the top of the tank, but it would make sense for one to be there so, if I were you I would first check the tube we were talking about before, if that doesn't fix it, then drop your gas tank and inspect it more. That's just me, for all I know I could be completely wrong and pulling shit out of my ass.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I believe there's a fuel tank venting solenoid up behind the tank. Read about it causing exactly the issue you describe.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
My '06 just got this code today. Since brand new, it would click off when I would try to fill up. Put in 2 gallons then *click*, 1 more gallon *click*. Think vent tube may be fucked. Never looked into it. Cleared the code, which was stupid. Should have hi-hoed my way to the dealer.
Back from the dealer. Is a TSB about it. Happens from dusty conditions and from people filling up and then topping off. It is bad for the valves. It is not a direct replacement. there's a redesign of it. GM P/N 19152349 is the kit. Also requires hose clamps. 20 minute install.
:read:

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,654 Posts
yeah, there's a fuel tank pressure bleed-off valve on the gas tank, its basically designed to bleed off excess fumes and pressure

the newer trucks had that TSB that applied to them, basically, you just take some 5/8ths hose and extend it up closer to the top of the transmission to get it clear of dust and dirt

·
Fa Kin Su Pah
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess I'll try that. I just hate taking the bed off again but if it fixes it then I'll be happy.

It freaking sucks taking 10 minutes to fill up. Mine dont just shut off. When it shuts off it spews gas out onto the truck and everywhere.

EDIT: damn that shit is almost 100 bucks

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Yeah, like I said, it was strange because everything they say can cause the problem should not have happened to me, because it has been doing it on my truck since I bought it. It had 4 miles on it.

·
Fa Kin Su Pah
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im not sure man. i would have to take the bed off to take a picture of it.

there is a tube that goes into the side of the filler neck that runs to the tank. i havent replaced that yet nor the piece covah is talking about

1 - 20 of 29 Posts