GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2 ton alum., low profile that lasted 5 uses when the front wheel stopped turning. Exchanged it and after 2 uses, same problem. Demanded a refund and the store wouldn't give me one. Upgraded to a 3 ton. Went to use it for the first time and it would not hold the vehicle nor my body weight. An obvious leak. Brought it back and the manager decides to give me my money back minus the taxes.

Anyone else have problems with craftsman jacks?

Looking for recommendations on a floor jack. I would prefer alum. but not necessary. My last jack lasted 25 yrs. but it was steel.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
craftsman jacks suck.

i had a harbor freight jack last for years, (steel) until i flipped a car on it, (my fault)

i love my blue point, but it was expensive as hell

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
My harbor freight jack had been used and abused heavily and is still going strong. I have dropped 400 lb axles on it many times.

It's the orange 3 ton. Don't know if they still carry it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
if by some chance you have that old jack and its american made have it repaired Ive got 2 old napa jacks at a place to see if they are able to be rebuilt and bought a new Hein werner 3 ton expensive as hell but it is rebuildable

·
Doin it for the lolz
318 Posts
I have a Napa 3.5 Ton. Absolutelly love it

·
2,325 Posts
I had a 3 ton low profile one. it was a huge piece of SHIT. I jacked the truck up and was putting the jackstand in when it gave out dropping the truck. The gasket blew out and left a giant puddle of fluid on my garage floor. I will NEVER own one again.

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Every jack that I've bought tells you to bleed the air out of them before using them.

I've had my Craftsman 2.5 ton jack for 3 years now. Still going strong. I also have a Northern tool 1.5 ton aluminum jack for the MG.

I've heard of great reviews for the Arcan jacks. Especially this one. Northern tool sells them. Arcan jack Northern Tool

·
mud racing
155 Posts
About 15 years ago my father bought one of them cheap ass 3 ton floor jacks from a tool sale still going today. I bought a harbor freight 2 years ago and still works fine.

·
GMFS founding member
4,012 Posts
Simple solution, but I shouldn't have to do this to a brand new jack, especially after 2 exchanges.
I don't know why anyone shops at Sears. I bought a filter for my shop vac online, it didn't fit at all, despite the model number being right on the box, I took it back to the store and they argued with me on exchanging it for the correct one. I said for fuck's sake, you want me to mail it back to Sears? :jester: and the guy working there was of no help finding the correct filter. way to know your job :high5:

Craftsman jacks have sucked for as long as I can remember. my 3.5 ton is still working by some miracle, but every bottle jack I ever bought there failed. I've had better luck with Torin Big Red jacks from Northern Tool.

I have found that some associates will take care of you on returns and exchanges, and some are just assholes. this shouldn't be company culture but it is. no one has any customer service anymore. YOU are the consumer, YOU bought something, if it doesn't meet your standards, YOU are the one who decides whether or not you get to return it, not the retailer. retailing shitty products then offering no customer service to back them up, fuck Sears.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
I had a similar deal at sears. Got a little air compressor for Christmas, but I already had a little one so I went to swap it for a bigger one. This was a craftsman brand compressor mind you. I didn't have a reciept, and I had to argue with them for 2 hours to get store credit to purchase a larger compressor. Pissed me the fuck off. I only go to sears for craftsman hand tools now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ended up ordering a 2.5 ton, low profile, steel from Harbor Freight for $120 with tax and shipping. After reading reviews about Craftsman jacks, looks like there's many problems. Wish I would have read the reviews before my purchase.

·
Pro Installz
1,047 Posts
I live 2 miles from sears so I don't mind swapping out jacks when they break, thats why I have (3) $400 Jacks. They last through about 5 lifts each before they thatrt leaking down. They don't like swapping them out but they do kinda suck

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just read that online that Sears is having major financial problems

·
Registered
291 Posts
I live 2 miles from sears so I don't mind swapping out jacks when they break, thats why I have (3) $400 Jacks. They last through about 5 lifts each before they thatrt leaking down. They don't like swapping them out but they do kinda suck
thats pathetic for an extra hundred you can buy a Hein Werner thats still made in america

1 - 20 of 37 Posts