GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Craftsman have lifetime warrenty on torque wrenches because i found one on ebay for nothing that dont work and was wondering if i could just buy it and take it back?

·
Full-time FSC'er
186 Posts
The one I bought from sears only says something about a 1 year warranty> I couldnt find anything about a lifetime warranty like their other tools have.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
:word: my floorjack doesnt have a lifetime warranty so im assuming quite a few of their tools do not. i'd check on their website about warranties on torque wrenches before i purchased it

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
buy it, then go get a new one from sears, take the defective one back in the new box, and exchange for a a new one, keep the new one in the package and sell it new, then you will still have a new one for you at next to nothing, or after the exchange take it back and get your money back and still have a new one for next to nothing. just my .02

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
buy it, then go get a new one from sears, take the defective one back in the new box, and exchange for a a new one, keep the new one in the package and sell it new, then you will still have a new one for you at next to nothing, or after the exchange take it back and get your money back and still have a new one for next to nothing. just my .02
:scum:

had that happen to me before. they stuck it back on the shelf and i ended up purchasing a defective product:guns:

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
not syaing do it, but if it happened to you, you shouldn't be mad at the guy who brought it back ie. me the scumbag, you should be mad at the guy workin at sears who should have sent it to get repaired and not back on the shelf.

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
yep sears doesn't have a lifetime on their torque wrenches. Which is kinda bull if you ask me because Sears built their name around that policy and now some items aren't covered. Anyway my torque wrench crapped out on me and I was going to do what olred suggested but be careful because they changed the design of the torque wrench within the last couple of years

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
yep sears doesn't have a lifetime on their torque wrenches. Which is kinda bull if you ask me because Sears built their name around that policy and now some items aren't covered. Anyway my torque wrench crapped out on me and I was going to do what olred suggested but be careful because they changed the design of the torque wrench within the last couple of years
All hand tools are covered under a lifetime warranty. Nothing else has ever been implied to have a lifetime. If they were replacing all the floor jacks, air wrenches and electric drills they sold how the hell would they make money. Besides... they way i see it, if your buying air tools at sears your a moron anyways.. the craftsman brand aint worth a shit. And shame on you broke asses for trying to fraud them out of 2 new ones because you fuckin broke yours. LAME

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
All hand tools are covered under a lifetime warranty. Nothing else has ever been implied to have a lifetime. If they were replacing all the floor jacks, air wrenches and electric drills they sold how the hell would they make money. Besides... they way i see it, if your buying air tools at sears your a moron anyways.. the craftsman brand aint worth a shit. And shame on you broke asses for trying to fraud them out of 2 new ones because you fuckin broke yours. LAME
:word:

I'll admit that I don't know you, so don't take this the wrong way, but what's with having to scam to get a new torque wrench? If you cannot afford one, wait until you can. I'd reserve this type of action (switching a broke one for a good one) when I buy something that was defective but I lossed the receipt or something like that, then you're just making things right. Even that's fucked up, I'll admit...:nono:

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
think about all the faulty products you have bought over the years, now some may have been covered under warranty and you drove back how ever far and exchanged it or waited to have it repaired then enet on your way, or maybe it had no warranty or you lost the reciept and it your stuck with a faulty product. i have done this i cant count how many times, now not even counting the loss of the product how much gas did you spend, and whats your time worth to you? you could have been spending it with friends and family instead of takin some crap ass product back to exchange or repair, now do you think sears warranty is gonna cover your gas at 3 dolars a gallon? or get back your kids baseball game, no. so is it rgiht to do what i suggested, no. but you do what you feel the need to do. corporate companys dont give a shit about customers only the almighty dollar, and sears aint going broke anytime soon. notice i said corporate company's not family owned and operated places, which i prefer to do buisness with, and would i do what i sugessted, no. i was just a thought, what else is he gonna do with a broke tq wrench? besides most if not all of craftsman is made in tiawan (sp)? now, that american made is bs.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Like I said before, if you're making something right, it could be justified, but simply scamming for the hell of it is wrong. In case you didn't notice, you're not screwing the "corporations" when you scam like that, they will still make profit because they pass the cost to the rest of the consumers, so you're not really getting back at them at all.

As for Sears quality or whatever I don't really care, everyone buys what they can afford at the time, I make no distinction in tools until they break, but I don't feed my family with them either.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
you are right, and what i suggested is not right, and i wouldnt do it, but it was merll a suggestion.

·
Sweet bottom num nums
496 Posts
i admit i was once young and stupid, i may still be a bit from time to time, but i guess all you guys were saints in the choir when you were younger huh?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is it that serious where you need to scam Sears for a damn torque wrench or even suggest it? That is soo damn :supergay:! I have bought a few torque wrenches from Sears and never had a problem with them. I know that they are not guaranteed for life like their hand tools which is ok with me. I don't expect a tool that has a tremendous amount of pressure and torque put on it to last forever. It's not like it's a breaker bar, it's a precision tool. How can you warranty that forever?

Some people need to grow up!

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
It's not like it's a breaker bar, it's a precision tool. How can you warranty that forever?

Some people need to grow up!
I know that a torque wrench is a precision tool and you can have it recalibrated, actually you're suppose to have it done every year is what I've read in the instruction manual (probably depending on use too though). Other then that there's not much that can go wrong with it so I always believed that it was lifetime, and I was also told that by one of the Sears guys. So let's just say I was a little pissed when I found out I had to spend $70 on a tool that I already had for a project that was already costing me a lot. I was always under the impression that Sears stuff was lifetime, I guess I better watch what I buy from them from now on.

TheLlama said:
about making money while replacing tools and what not, if a company believed in their quality they could still make money while providing lifetime warranties, 1. they don't make tools like they used to, and 2. I'm not going to get into an argument over Sears tool quality.

About the Craftsman brand ain't worth a shit, well I'm sorry I can't afford Mac or Snap-on, I don't work on cars for a living, I don't have a steady job, and would rather eat then buy some outrageously priced tool because it says snap-on. I understand that some mechanics buy snap-on and what because they like the feel of the tools and because they do use them everyday I totally agree with that. For me craftsman fits my price range and gives me some piece of mind. But then on the other hand I also buy "disposable" tools at Harborfreight because I don't really want to beat on a $20 screwdriver when I can beat on one that cost pennies and does the same thing. Everything has to be taken in context.

Some buy H1s to go offroading others buy Chevys...its the same thing. Everyone has budgets and I want to congratulate you guys that can always afford the best of the best. I hope there will be a time in my life when I can do that, but right now isn't that time. I hope you understand my point. :shake:

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
jj212jj said:
about making money while replacing tools and what not, if a company believed in their quality they could still make money while providing lifetime warranties, 1. they don't make tools like they used to, and 2. I'm not going to get into an argument over Sears tool quality.
i know where you're coming from but you also have idiots that will use a ratchet on something that it isnt designed to torque..take the example of someone trying to use a 1/4" with an adapter to fit a larger 3/8" socket and trying to tighten something down like a shackle bolt. the 1/4" isnt designed to be used with that much torque:imo...its like building a bulletproof trans and giving it to someone who doesnt maintain a vehicle and/or care how they abuse it..it CAN be broken. now, dont get me wrong, im not saying craftsman is a superior tool but i also believe that the user partially controls the integrity of the tool

·
05 Sierra Crew
987 Posts
i know where you're coming from but you also have idiots that will use a ratchet on something that it isnt designed to torque..take the example of someone trying to use a 1/4" with an adapter to fit a larger 3/8" socket and trying to tighten something down like a shackle bolt. the 1/4" isnt designed to be used with that much torque:imo...its like building a bulletproof trans and giving it to someone who doesnt maintain a vehicle and/or care how they abuse it..it CAN be broken. now, dont get me wrong, im not saying craftsman is a superior tool but i also believe that the user partially controls the integrity of the tool
I know exactly what you mean and I was going to add pretty much the same thing to my post, but it was getting too long. That's the big problem that companies with warranties face, and I totally understand. Idiots suck, I tell my girlfriend that everyday. I swear everyday I see a couple idiots doing really stupid shit... but thats the new America!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts