GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GMFS AF Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Got a real bad creaking noise in the rear on take off and under weight. Sounds like the rear leafs or perches creaking but I've sprayed them with oil lube to no avail. Ideas?

Superlift bracket kit with blocks and 3in bl

Thanks

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
seriously its prolly your bushings and shackle. My shit squeaked like crazy when I had deavers.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
My leaf springs squeek, and then I grease them up, and it stops, but then it comes back. I am already use to it.

·
GMFS AF Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
GMFS AF Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have a way to fix it besides spray lube like WD40 or ZEP45? Can you pull the shackles apart and pack them with grease? I'm pretty sure its the leafs because it creaks only when the leaf pack would stretch or be under load.

Also I have a little bit of the same noise up front but I think its just the lift kit parts creaking. I have all of those torque-checked and all are tight.

Just is getting noiser every week and would like to quiet it down some.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Anyone have a way to fix it besides spray lube like WD40 or ZEP45? Can you pull the shackles apart and pack them with grease? I'm pretty sure its the leafs because it creaks only when the leaf pack would stretch or be under load.

Also I have a little bit of the same noise up front but I think its just the lift kit parts creaking. I have all of those torque-checked and all are tight.

Just is getting noiser every week and would like to quiet it down some.
you can get greasable bushings for the springs and shackles

·
GMFS AF Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can get greasable bushings for the springs and shackles
Thanks! I'll check that out... probably MOOG has some

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
truck looks sick BTW

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
IIRC, WD-40 is a penetrant not a lubricant. It will make it quiet for a little while but it will come back. Spray some lithium grease or some silicone (the aerosol flavor) on them, you might want to bounce the vehicle around a little while you're doing this to promote penetration of the lubricant. Use it on all your bushings (ie. UCAs, LCAs, leaf spring bushings, etc.).

·
Swamper Brotherhood
3,898 Posts
its prolly axle wrap causing the springs to bind up/ make noise

·
Could be
192 Posts
IIRC, WD-40 is a penetrant not a lubricant. It will make it quiet for a little while but it will come back. Spray some lithium grease or some silicone (the aerosol flavor) on them, you might want to bounce the vehicle around a little while you're doing this to promote penetration of the lubricant. Use it on all your bushings (ie. UCAs, LCAs, leaf spring bushings, etc.).
x2. Every moving part that doesn't have a grease fitting gets a spray of heavy duty silicone on my truck.

Maybe try spraying some WD-40 in between some of the individual leafs to help lubricate them and see if that helps. Don't most leaf packs have small flat plastic spacers between each leaf to prevent vibration and excessive noise? Maybe one of those got worn out?
They do, but after 100k some of mine are worn thin or missing.

·
For Offroad Use Only
285 Posts
Ahh yea, that's what I meant :crazy: Thanks for the correction. :)

x2. Every moving part that doesn't have a grease fitting gets a spray of heavy duty silicone on my truck.

They do, but after 100k some of mine are worn thin or missing.

That's why I got rid of my leaf springs all together! :lazer: :rofljest:

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Id love to run Coilovers on my mall cruiser :drool:

·
GMFS AF Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
GMFS AF Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice! I tried to add some regular grease between some of the leafs but I'm sure that it's the axle wrap causing it. Would full drop leaf springs help? I heard that they rode a lot harder than the factory ones so I'm not sure if I'll do that... maybe a 3" leaf and a 2" block?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts