GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
exactly how hard is it to install the CST lift on a 99-02 silverado,i really dont want to weld or cut anything. Also about how long would it take to install?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey man CST kit is a breeze to install, only thing you have to cut is the upper control arm bumpstops. If you have any questions just pm me and I could probably help. Also I am assuming its a 2wd.

·
Registered
479 Posts
V10demon89 said:
my silverado will be a 4wd.
Unfortunately then, there is no way you can install it without cutting/welding. The cutting in a nutshell consists of mainly UCA brackets/bumpstop brackets and the lower differential frame mount. You then weld (1) plate to box in the LCA bracket that the diff. mount was part of (that's the ONLY welding required). The kit is supposed to be "reversible" but it would take some creativity to put it back to stock...and I still wouldn't want to buy it. The good part (or bad part) is that a lot of other kits require the same amount of cutting or more (some require chopping a differential mount off of the differential itself). CST is a very nice kit, but if you are planning to install this yourself, leave adequate time to do it right. Most of the stuff you have to cut aren't covered in the very unclear and confusing instructions (or maybe they are and i just didn't understand). Good luck, aloha.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
its almost identicle instal to the procomp kit, takes me a day to do one but then again ive done a few.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
mine took a full saturday with a few breaks for pizza, tools and supplies, and beer runs. i had to cut the bumpstops, and the diff mount. if you do them with a sawzall you can put them back to stock later if you need to

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cutting off the bump stops is no biggie. The only real cut is the one to the front diff mount. Josh or DE can confirm this, but I don't believe the basic kit install requires any welding. From a skill stand point its not too bad. I can confirm that if you have one of the dual shock upgrades it will take more time and effort. The rear dual kit requires grinding and welding. The front kit will require a press or other means to remove the bushings from the UCA and insert them into the new UCA. I paid to have mine done because I didn't have all the equipment and I managed to get a deal. Speed will be some what dependent on what tools you have. If you don't have certian tools like an air wrench or a pickle fork, basic disassembly can take forever. Plan for the whole weekend and congratulate yourself if it takes less time.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
01Z71GMC said:
Cutting off the bump stops is no biggie. The only real cut is the one to the front diff mount. Josh or DE can confirm this, but I don't believe the basic kit install requires any welding. From a skill stand point its not too bad. I can confirm that if you have one of the dual shock upgrades it will take more time and effort. The rear dual kit requires grinding and welding. The front kit will require a press or other means to remove the bushings from the UCA and insert them into the new UCA. I paid to have mine done because I didn't have all the equipment and I managed to get a deal. Speed will be some what dependent on what tools you have. If you don't have certian tools like an air wrench or a pickle fork, basic disassembly can take forever. Plan for the whole weekend and congratulate yourself if it takes less time.
the CST is easier. you dont need to disassemble any of the suspension. the UCA, LCA, CV and spindle come off in one assembly. then you lower the diff, and throw it all back together. there is no welding required, but the bumpstops are harder to cut on than the diff mount.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Josh said:
the CST is easier. you dont need to disassemble any of the suspension. the UCA, LCA, CV and spindle come off in one assembly. then you lower the diff, and throw it all back together. there is no welding required, but the bumpstops are harder to cut on than the diff mount.

:word: Only time that would not be true would be in 01Z71GMC's case with the front dual shocks. Where the UCA is replaced with the CST tubed UCA with shock mounts.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
BDZ71 said:
:word: Only time that would not be true would be in 01Z71GMC's case with the front dual shocks. Where the UCA is replaced with the CST tubed UCA with shock mounts.
gotcha. i didnt think about that. even still, the upper balljoint doesnt need a pickle fork. that thing falls out with a few good whacks of a hammer.

·
6,656 Posts
you can do a complete lift instal with no pickle fork :read: its helpful sometimes, sometimes its not.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i agree, i try not to use it if at all possible. even when your careful those things fuck up rubber boots.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was mainly trying to answer his time question with the comment about the tools. I guess I wasn't real clear. I didn't mean to say that you had to have this stuff, just that sometimes it can affect how much time it takes. You all know it only takes one stuck something, IE ball joint, tierod end, or in the case of my truck, the tierod idler arm connection and those bushings, to piss away an hour or two trying to get it apart. The older your truck is an the more miles it has, the more likely you'll run into something like this.

·
6,656 Posts
Angry Samoan said:
you should replace them anyway
replace what? The boots? :think:

You need to replace the boots if they rip or are ripped but thats the only reason to. Pickle forks tend to rip them, why I use a hammer to knock them out 90% of the time. Faster, easier with less damage to the joint.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.