GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started when i got my lift put on. Front differential dropped to where the stock y pipe is so the front drive shaft was running right through the y pipe. exhaust modifications begin.

Here are some pics of the custom exhaust GMracer and I put on this past week. details and more pics will come tomorrow, but enjoy the teasers for now. vids are coming too. :kiss:

here is what we started with. magnaflow duals with some kinked pipe from lous "custom" exhaust

exhaust014Large.gif

exhaust012Large.gif

here is what we put on: MBRP 4 inch cat back for a 2005 Duramax. Take a second and let that sink in.
exhaust008Large.gif

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, never seen it done before, glad im not the first to entertain the idea

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here are some updated pics after everything was painted and re-hung after i got the gasket.

the custom y pipe made my GMracer (nick) from sectioned 3 in mandrel bends and 3 inch straight.

downpipe
exhaust009Large.gif

exhaust010Large.gif

exhaust005Large-1.gif

exhaust007Large-1.gif

exhaust006Large-1.gif

flowmaster dual 3 to single 4. had to section pieces out of both pipes leading into the 2 into 1
exhaust008Large-1.gif

exhaust004Large-1.gif

exhaust020Large.gif

exhaust021Large.gif

sectioned piece out before the cat flange.
exhaust022Large.gif

cut y pipe to fit length
exhaust018Large.gif

took a little persuasion to get everything to slip together.
exhaust019Large.gif

a little tanning action
exhaust025Large.gif

all finished up
exhaust024Large.gif

exhaust001Large-1.gif

exhaust002Large-1.gif

big thanks to nick and his buddies for helping out with the project and letting me use his shop.

·
Tharf is my hero :read:
1,049 Posts
Pretty sweet, I just had mine re-done after the 383 but its wayyyyyy too loud. I had these little IMCO stainless steel single chamber mufflers put on and I swear it was quieter when I had open headers. Im gonna have my guy throw in a couple resonators or something tomorrow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its weird, i think its because its 4 inch, but its pretty quiet. it gets loud, but on the highway it was as quiet as my magnaflows no drone, going around 65

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you lose any low-end going with the 4" exhaust? how loud is it driving around town from the outside when you aren't romping on it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you lose any low-end going with the 4" exhaust? how loud is it driving around town from the outside when you aren't romping on it?
its pretty quiet just cruising. everyone's opinion of quiet is different, but its not as loud as a glasspack, but louder then my magnaflow. not sure if that means anything to you, but its the only thing i know to compare it to. on the highway its is quiet, no real drone.

powerwise, i cant tell. my truck is slow as a snail anyway with the 35s, not really worried about winning any drag races.

yea dmax swap might be too expensive haha

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
I called nick while he was welding:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i got the whole fram thing, oil change in 100 miles so ill take care of it then. any recomendations?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts