GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i plan to re do my exhuast cuz its just way to fin loud.. iam going deaf. the ladies hate it ect.....

currently i have headers going down into a 4 inch section of pipe going into a muffler (flowmaster on both sides) then dumping out of the out port...

i was think of getting a cutom y pipe kit...then straight pipe into one muffler then dummping right in front of the pass side rear tire.... any input?? or suggestions on where to buy materials

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
try dynamax mufflers because they are quiet but give a good rumble and really let the motor come to life up high in the revs just a suggestion i have one on my truck and my father has one on his 95 Z71

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope its all 3 inch piping the length of the pipe is like 4 inchs... off the headers...theres not much of a down pipe

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I Ve Decided I Need To Buy Aftermarket Y Pipe To Bolt To My Headers And Then Run A 3 Inch Tube To A Muffler Then Run Another 3 Inch Tube Out Of That Then Dump.......so My Question Now Is Where Can I Get A Fairly Cheap Y Pipe That Will Bolt To My Edelvrock Shortys.....(they Say A Stock Y Pipe Will Both To Theses Headers)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i need a stock y as well (i crushed mine on a rock/speedbump, long story). Also, look up Flowmaster hushpower mufflers, they may be what youre looking for

·
Registered
195 Posts
for cheap id say ask around and see how just got long tubes and ditched their oem y pipe. if not just make your own, im assuming you can weld and such since your making your own exhaust, buy some bends from summit, get a y collector and then run it single to wherever. with a stock y pipe your kind of limited to where you can run your exhaust.

also the further back your exhaust exits, the quieter it will be in the cab.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i can weld some i plan to tig it all... and i plan to dump the exhaust by the pass rear tire... it just drones so f in bad in the cab...i thin i may try to make my own y pipe setup....just cuz they want 170 for my headers

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You should try going with a single 3 inch, dumped over the axle. From there you choose a muffler to determine what type of tone and/or drone you want. Or since you are in an EC you could get away with a single 3" dumped before the axle and still have great tone without horrible drone. If you want the flowmaster sound without the drone, Flowmaster just came out with a new 44 series muffler that is designed to cut down on interior resonance. You might want to give that a shot.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i think i am going to use one of the 40's thats already under the truck....i just need to come up with a way to go from the headers to the mufflers...sinc ei have no cats... i think its called an off road pipe....but the drone is so bad that at 45-55 it gives me a head ache...my dragster isnt much louder lol

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
yeah i think i am going to use one of the 40's thats already under the truck....i just need to come up with a way to go from the headers to the mufflers...sinc ei have no cats... i think its called an off road pipe....but the drone is so bad that at 45-55 it gives me a head ache...my dragster isnt much louder lol
if you want to cut out the drone try sticking a resonator or a bullet as a resonator to help cut down the drone. Or you could just go with another muffler all together that doesnt drone as much

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmmmmm interesting.....

has anyone tried a aftermarket y pipe or cross over pipe... i need to find one to work with my shorty headers...the edelbrock one is a bit pricey imo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts