GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this before and the only answer i got was that cut outs are supposed to be muffler replacements...that didnt help me really. I am about to get cut out/s and i really am only getting them for sound since im not going to be building my performance up too much on this truck so with that in mind, should i do a cut out post cat/ pre muffler. It is my understanding that if i put a cut out on pre cat, i would need two cut outs and pay twice the labor cost as if i put in one cut out before the muffler. im doing E-cut outs so the price difference is enough to allow me to get a second mod should i do just the one cut out.

oh yea, i am wanting the truck to be really loud and aggressive sounding when open...can i get that with just the one cut out post cat? ive heard sound clips that sound great, but nothing in person

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I've heard one post cat in person, and I wasn't really impressed. It was loud, but it wasn't that loud. It sounded like a completely shot glasspack :imo Pre-cats are ridiculously loud though

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
i was told to paint a line on the pipe and at the place where the paint stops burning off is where u want to put it. on my 94 i have it before the cat and it throws out about a 3 foot flame when i go to WOT.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Precat is going to be like an open header.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you drive around safely with it pre cat for long periods of time?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
ok on the nbs trucks the car is pretty damn close to the manifold. if i put it before the cat it wouldnt sit level, throwing some serious heat onto the pavement or the grass im parked on (fire). I think im doing 2 cutouts one after each cat, anymore opinions on the whole busted glasspack thing. i dont want it to sound like shit.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where is the last 02 sensor?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
i was told to paint a line on the pipe and at the place where the paint stops burning off is where u want to put it. on my 94 i have it before the cat and it throws out about a 3 foot flame when i go to WOT.
:LOL: thats how you find the proper placement for a h-pipe.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im gunna do post cat so that i dont have to worry about 02 sensors

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Put flanges on some piping and cut the cats out and put flanges on them, then swap them out. Unless they're electric, then just replace the cats, or move the cats and rear o2's back behind the cats. A tune will allow you to run w/o cats.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
then why do it at all? :think:
i would like my exhaust loud/aggressive sounding but sometimes (like highway) i just don't want to deal with drone at all. I'm weary of moving my cats/sensors just because im pretty ignorant of the whole thing and I'm weary of the effects on my smog/emissions tests (stupid maryland)....and i don't trust my exhaust shops around here being that so far out of 5 calls, no one knew what a cut out was and so i had to explain it and they all want $100 to weld in a single cut out

am i able to just have one cat after my Y pipe? I'm not seeing how else i can get my cut outs pre cat

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
You couldnt put the cutouts precat w/o moving your cats or making a new y pipe. The cats are in the y pipe and there's one per side.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
can i put cut outs where the cats currently are and then just add one cat/O2 sensor somewhere before the muffler? i mean, will that be smog legal?

·
Registered
999 Posts
i dont want it to sound like shit.
then dont put cutouts on a mostly stock truck. :imo

if you think you'd like cutouts, unhook your exhaust from your manifolds sometime, and fire it up. it sounds like ass unless you've got a well built engine.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
then dont put cutouts on a mostly stock truck. :imo

if you think you'd like cutouts, unhook your exhaust from your manifolds sometime, and fire it up. it sounds like ass unless you've got a well built engine.
gimme a break man. it sounds fine. its mostly just noise but when you get on it it is deep and loud. Thats what hes going for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts