GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kinda like this style (i know its a phord)

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/550721/5

I am wanting to do 4 15's and this is the only way i can think of doing it without taking out my back seats

but i have never heard a setup like this in all the years i have been going to comps and wonder how they sound, anybody got any insight on the sq of a setup like this?

im guessing they sound like subs in the trunk of a car would? right?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I wanted to do that but I couldn't find enough information on it. And it didn't seem too appealing for it to be cut. So I just took out my backseat so my subs would fit. I guess if you find a good shop to do it, it will come out good but I like the idea of having my system inside the cab. That's just me though, I never was able to find a shop around my area that I had confidence in.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If done right it will sound great, ive done a couple of setups like that ford where it was a port for the blow through. All you need to do is cut the hole and boot it with the rubber boot. Last truck i did like that was a stepside s10 with 4 15's bandpassed the box was 22 cubic feet and took up the whole bed. My old manager just got one of those fords like that, not much room figured it wouldnt be long before someone cut one. If you have any questions feel free to ask im an custom installer at a shop and have been doing it for 7 years.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
it sounds better than subs in a trunk... but i'm used to seeing most of the back wall cut out for the blow through design.

But in all honestly, 4 15s isn't gonna be a good SQ Setup:read: It'll be loud as hell, and you'll prbly go deaf, but since you like Adire subs that might be a good thing

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2k1slvrdo said:
it sounds better than subs in a trunk... but i'm used to seeing most of the back wall cut out for the blow through design.

But in all honestly, 4 15s isn't gonna be a good SQ Setup:read: It'll be loud as hell, and you'll prbly go deaf, but since you like Adire subs that might be a good thing

damn you must hate adire :ninja: style

i have always had sq setups (IDMAX 12's were the last subs i had) I liked them but for some reason this time i want my system insane loud but dont want muffeled bass that i thought a cut through would produce

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
the seat doesn't really block sound that much. With my rear seat, the sub just sounds a lil more muffled. but my system sounds bad ass with the seats up. NOt hating Adire, just saying i'd rather have a more SQ oriented subs... If i had the money i'd run 4 13.5 W7s, there is just something about that sub. Sounds so damn good.

I've heard 12 12s in a blow through like that. It was Alpine's show truck from a long time ago. It had the big V12 amps running from the dash all they way to the back of the cab. Its all to do with the box. At forbidden fantasy, some guy had a tahoe with 6 15s, and i can honestly say my 2 12s were louder than it, and sounded better. I think they were Kove subs, can't remember htough.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2k1slvrdo said:
If i had the money i'd run 4 13.5 W7s, there is just something about that sub. Sounds so damn good.

wouldnt we all w7's :head: but cost way too much

what is your setup? what kinda box? shoot me some pics

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
you're gonna make fun of me for this, but right now i'm running 2 kicker 12 L7s. My box is a custom fiberglass box that fits under my rear seats. Its nice b/c with the seat down, you can't even tell that i have subs.

The rest of my system was pretty much the stuff i liked the most at the time:

Eclipse AV8022
Eclipse Point source 4 in comps
Boston Acustic Pro 6.52
2 Kicker 12L7s
Rockford 1500.1BD (birth sheeted at 1838 RMS @ 2 ohms @ 13.0 volts)
Rockford 800X
And about 3 layers of extreme everywhere on my truck, except for the headliner, which i'm about to redo.

·
eplingphoto.com
550 Posts
I had two 15" kicker comps ported through the bed of my toyota and hit consistent 160's..

But if you ever want to use your bed again let me tell ya it will be a bitch fixing the holes of the cut through..

I've spent that past year now restoring the toyota and getting the holes filled perfect has been a bitch.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2k1slvrdo said:
you're gonna make fun of me for this, but right now i'm running 2 kicker 12 L7s.

:LOL: j/k you got some nice equipment (huge eclispe fan) even though L7's arent my favorite subs

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
99redsilv said:
I had two 15" kicker comps ported through the bed of my toyota and hit consistent 160's..

But if you ever want to use your bed again let me tell ya it will be a bitch fixing the holes of the cut through..

I've spent that past year now restoring the toyota and getting the holes filled perfect has been a bitch.
good point... i think i might stick with a simple system that can fit in the cab

·
Registered
342 Posts
Cut it out. Go to a local trailer place and grab some gasket material. Its pretty expensive, i think almost ten a foot. But u wont need to make any intricate boxes to fit in the back of your truck. Def doesn't sound like a box in a trunk at all. My bro cut out his bed in and S10. Sounds great, and it doesn't leak or anything. Prob the only way to get something extremely loud, like your talking about, in your truck unless u buy two expensive ass twelves and a sick amp.

·
Registered
131 Posts
KOEHRSENLB said:
have any of u guys done a real narrow cut through? the reason i ask is that i have a box for a couple 10's that i built that has a 7.5" wide and 14.5" tall sealed off area in the center of it. i was thinkin along the lines of a cut through that would have a box that would simply be ported into the cab. would this not be good for sound? about how much would it cost simply to have it cut and sealed? i can build the box. any help would be appreciated.

So you want to really do a bandpass box and the ports fire into the cab, It would work, but you have to makes sure the ports are tuned and the airspace is correct (and sealed up besides the port) to sound good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts