GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be something only Texas guys can answer, but Is it legal to put some e-cutouts in front of my cats or does it have to be behind them? My Borla is pretty quiet, nice on the highway, but not nearly loud enough when I really wanna open it up.

Also, is gutting my cats a good idea? At home in Dallas they hook you up to the sniffer but out in the country I don't think they mess with the emissions.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
I'd check with an 'out in the country' :crazy: shop first to make sure u can get away with it. You could always go hi-flow cats that are still legal

Should be legal for the e-cutouts as long as they are closed on streets you can argue that its suitable for 'off road purposes only' which isnt against the law.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
if they sniff you, keep cats... just switch to some high flow aftermarket ones....

as far as the cutout goes, put it anywhere you want.... just not before the front O2's.... (duh) and have fun

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The stock converters flow as well as the so-called high performance converters they sell. There is no need to replace them. :read:

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had heard the stock ones flow pretty good so I'll leave those alone. I just need to look into the cutout placement. I was always told you couldn't have them before the cats but I guess I can just ask the guy at the shop tomorrow. Will there be too little backpressure (or will it hinder velocity if you prefer) if I have cutouts that close to the exhaust manifolds?

And yes, the "out in the country" shops will ignore the emissions. They only hook you up to the sniffer in cities like Dallas and Houston. In San Angelo, an inspection is $12.50. In Dallas, an inspection is $12.50 plus $27 for "emissions testing".

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
on a stock'ish exhaust setup... put it right after the Y IMO...

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
i have cutouts on my 94 that replaces the cat, both my cat and cutout are flanged so when smog time comes i take out the cutout and throw in the cat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts