GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i almost have all my parts gathered up to do my 3/6 drop. another week or so and i'll have my springs and shocks ( thanks, 5.3Vortec )

my question is how do you know where to cut the notch? do you unbolt the springs from the axle then raise the rear end until it hits the frame to mark the area that need to be removed, or is there another way? all my notch hardware consists of are two plates with the arc in them and two square pieces with a C-shaped piece inside them and two flat plates with 5 holes in it, one in each corner and one offset to one side in the middle.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
i would suggest doing the flip, then centering the notch over hte axle, after that if you dont have enough room to cut, you can drop the axle and still know that you are centered.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Homer J said:
all my notch hardware consists of are two plates with the arc in them and two square pieces with a C-shaped piece inside them and two flat plates with 5 holes in it, one in each corner and one offset to one side in the middle.
Who did you get it from? Seems it should have had a mounting template with it .. or made so that you use an existing bolt hole as a guide.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Originally Posted by Homer J
all my notch hardware consists of are two plates with the arc in them and two square pieces with a C-shaped piece inside them and two flat plates with 5 holes in it, one in each corner and one offset to one side in the middle.

bcubed said:
Who did you get it from? Seems it should have had a mounting template with it .. or made so that you use an existing bolt hole as a guide.

I think he's talking about some of the Flip kit parts... at least the 5 holed plate is. The c shaped things might be for the flip kit as well, but i'm not sure since you didnt discribe them very well.

As far as the notch goes...... Install the flip kit AND new shocks. then Measure it after and mark where the axle perches will hit the frame when under suspension compression. Do it after you install it all because you axle is going to move slightly back with the flip kit. Then cut the frame section out with a sawzall or cutoff wheel.... the hardest part of the bolt on notch is drilling out all the holes. Make sure to get some Good drill bits.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My belltech notch came with a guide plate. IF I can find it I will take some pics and post em and then send it to homer with the springs and shocks.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I made my own template since the DJM notch didn't include one. I just cut it out of cardboard then etched it into the undercoating on the frame to give me a nice line to cut along with the angle grinder.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a DJM notch. it didnt come with a template though. i think i could trace in on cardborad, its just to get the shape of the cut, right?

so, i do the flip first, them find the middle of the axle and make the middle of the axle and the middle of the cut-out for the notch line up? when you unbolt the axle from the spring pack, what is the easiest way to get the axle on top on the springs? i was thinking about unbolting the rear spring eye and lowering them down. then i thought about either rolling the axle back until it will clear the springs ( if the brake lines will strech that far ) or, having a buddy help, and push the axle toward the passenger side to clear the drivers side spring then visa-vrsa for the other side. any suggestons?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Or how about just take the leaf spring off, and slide it underneath the axle from the side :rocking:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Flip the axle first. Once you have done that, raise the axle with a jack till you get close enough to the frame (if you lift it too much, your frame will start going with it), and just eyeball the middle of the axle with the middle of the notch. I''ve done several like that, and it works just fine. Oh yeah, and making a template really helps too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts