GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2" level on my 07 nnbs. My factory axle went out so i replaced it with one from advance auto. 3 weeks later I noticed grease on my wheel and the outer boot was all kinked and twisted looking and slinging grease. Took it back they gave me another. Put it on and within a week that boot was looking kinked and twisted and a couple weeks after that it had a hole in it also. Never had a problem with other side. Only difference I see is factory boot has 6 ridges and new one has 4.
1E819508-050D-4050-85E7-277A780DB913.jpg
682232FC-32D2-4979-BA3C-596E8658E418.jpg

·
Registered
900 Posts
They shouldn't be doing that with just a 2 inch level but mine do the same with hardly any crank on my nbs

·
Chevy Owner
302 Posts
I am having literally the exact same problem with my 07. Did you every figure out a solution to this?? I have gone through 2 sets of CVs in the past 5000 miles.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
when you pulled the CV out, did anything seem 'off' about it? for example, if you pulled on the outer joint, would it move or was it solid? The outer joint should only rotate and not move. I suspect the c-clip may have not been installed correctly (internal on the CV)

·
Chevy Owner
302 Posts
It has been a while since I have replaced them. Mine both look like the crumpled mess in the photo above at this point. I am just having no luck with Advanced Auto CVs.

I know they have a lifetime warranty, but it is getting really old having to "roll the dice" and hope I get good parts from them. Not to mention having to pull the truck apart every few thousand miles.

What else could be causing this issue other than a crappy part? I wouldnt think it would be both sides every time. Angles are almost identical to the OP's above with just a 2.5 CCM level.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Another thought.. if Advanced Auto manufacturers the joint very tight (is the outer joint hard to rotate?), they can get very hot and that could be the cause of problem.

·
Chevy Owner
302 Posts
Another thought.. if Advanced Auto manufacturers the joint very tight (is the outer joint hard to rotate?), they can get very hot and that could be the cause of problem.
I will have to check when I pull the thing apart again. I am really considering coughing up the $200 per axle for AC Delco shafts...

The only other thing that I would possibly consider causing this would be if my hubs were bad and causing that much heat to deform the boots. I will have to check those this weekend. Wheels aren't hot after driving 35 miles to and from work and they aren't making any noise, so i don't think that is the culprit.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
I will have to check when I pull the thing apart again. I am really considering coughing up the $200 per axle for AC Delco shafts...

The only other thing that I would possibly consider causing this would be if my hubs were bad and causing that much heat to deform the boots. I will have to check those this weekend. Wheels aren't hot after driving 35 miles to and from work and they aren't making any noise, so i don't think that is the culprit.
I highly doubt your hubs are causing this. If your hubs were bad you'd have other issues.

I wouldn't expect a tight CV to cause the wheel to heat up.. also, the CV will loosen up over time, especially if the boot tears and looses all the grease.

·
Chevy Owner
302 Posts
I highly doubt your hubs are causing this. If your hubs were bad you'd have other issues.

I wouldn't expect a tight CV to cause the wheel to heat up.. also, the CV will loosen up over time, especially if the boot tears and looses all the grease.
Do you suspect just shitty CVs then? That is the only thing that I suspect.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
What "brand" are the Advance Auto ones? I was very close to getting some NNBS shafts from there but will now avoid it. Just reading this may steer me into some AC Delco's as well. The shafts I have on mine are just fine (I spray the boots often with silicone spray to keep them supple) but I was going to replace them with NNBS so I could simply ditch my spacer.

I have never seen one with a twisted boot like that.

·
Chevy Owner
302 Posts
What "brand" are the Advance Auto ones? I was very close to getting some NNBS shafts from there but will now avoid it. Just reading this may steer me into some AC Delco's as well. The shafts I have on mine are just fine (I spray the boots often with silicone spray to keep them supple) but I was going to replace them with NNBS so I could simply ditch my spacer.

I have never seen one with a twisted boot like that.
They are Tough One brand. I would definitely avoid them.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
They are Tough One brand. I would definitely avoid them.

Ah ok, never heard of that. I imagine it's some sort of a Cardone rebrand, but who knows.
I just got lucky and found some AC Delco ones on Amazon for a smoking deal with only 2 left in stock so I jumped on that.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had an advanced cv on my 07 also. It looked just like yours and I just replaced it the other day. It was only on for about 5k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NVG-149 FTW!
501 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Cut my original drivers side CV boot installing 2" RC spacers & it blew all the grease out. Replaced it with an Advance shaft, twisted boot and grease all over a month later.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I just had my driver side Advanced CV break the boot as well. The inboard boot, right above where it clamps to the shaft. No slung grease though, probably since it's not closer to the cup. Will be replacing when I get a chance. Passenger side is the same unit with no problems so far. They have been on since June 2013.

·
Chevy Owner
302 Posts
Sounds like the right way to go is the cough up the cash for AC Delco shafts so you can count on getting the correct mileage out of them...

Anyone know of a good place to get them for cheap? GMPartsDirect and Amazon are the cheapest i have found.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Yeah, a lot of the parts store house brand "lifetime warranty" stuff is garbage. They just simply know you will get tired of changing the parts out after 3 or 4 times and give up.

I just got my AC Delco NNBS shafts on Amazon for $203.xx each. I think I got the last two though because after I bought them they were listed for like $240 each.

Rock Auto is also out of the NNBS AC Delco shafts, but they had them for like $235 or so, not including shipping.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I will be replacing with the Advanced shaft because of the warranty. The 30min it takes to swap out isn't worth the price of the AC shafts for me. Plus I only drive maybe 5000-7000 miles a year so even if I have to replace one ever year or 2, it's not so bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts