GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently replaced the hubs on my truck. After getting it all back together and test driving it i get a clunk or bang whenever going over small bumps or turning were the front suspension compresses slightly. I at first though i had not tightened the hub nut enough and the hub bearings had separated and were banging. After taking back off the caliper and rotor those hubs are tight as a tick. For the heck of it i grabbed the cv shaft and tried to move it around. I am getting about a 1/4" of play in the shaft with weight on the wheels. I know the shafts are supposed to have slip built in but i thought it was only on one end of the shaft. I am thinking i may have damaged them during removal to work on my hubs. When i am driving around and hit small bumps or the body rolls slightly it sounds as if there is someone under the truck that hits the frame with a hammer. The shafts turn fine and there is no apperant binding when going forward or turning. Its just that excess play that is there that gets taken up with a bang when the suspension compresses. What are your guys thoughts? Replace the shafts or just deal with it?

I have included a video to try and show what i mean. Turn up the volume and you will hear the banging.
th_MVI_0042.jpg

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Next time set the camera down with it focused on the inner joint..

It is very likely that one (or more) of the rollers on the inner joint came apart. I would take the whole thing out and then see where exactly it seems loose. If it is only loose on the outer joint it is probably just play in the snap ring.

Edit: after watching again and listening, something doesn't seem right. Like I said, take the whole thing out and find out exactly what's going on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It sounds like it has no grease inside , it should move in and out of course but not with noise.

If you turn the wheels to full lock while you are moving do you get a clunking or snapping sound if so the shaft is dieing. . .

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the help guys. Yea something just doesn't seem right about it. I can remember it starting to do this a few months ago but since i had them out earlier this week it seems to have gotten alot worse.

Thats the weird thing though, when turning and rolling there is no noise. Its only when the suspension compresses and that play gets taken up. I will probably take that one out and see if i can remove the boot to get a good look at the inner workings. So the outside joint is the only one that is supposed to have slip?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I just did my hubs last month did you tighten the bolt enough behind the dust cap? Does it do it on both sides? maybe try swapping the CV's from one side to another?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my first guess. Maybe i hadn't gotten the hub nut tight enough. So i take back off caliper and rotor and that hub is tight and i couldn't get any more on the bolt. I actually do think it does it on both sides. It is very possible there is some user error here but i guess i will just run it till something lets go.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
It sounds like it has no grease inside , it should move in and out of course but not with noise.

If you turn the wheels to full lock while you are moving do you get a clunking or snapping sound if so the shaft is dieing. . .
It should NOT move in and out when it is installed... It is locked tight; the only movement would be (should be) from a snap ring with a little play (no more than about 1/32 of an inch). If the axle was not installed the inner joint should compress and extend.

When you move that and it makes the noise, where is the movement/noise coming from? The inner or outer? Does it only do it when you try to extend/compress the unit, or does it do it if you grab the shaft and jiggle it (up and down)? (Couldn't think of a better word than jiggle lol).

kawamatt2 said:
It is very possible there is some user error here
Now that is always a possibility :D

kawamatt2 said:
i guess i will just run it till something lets go
Why? Just figure it out.. It's not that difficult to remove/replace a cv joint.

What did you set all your torques at?

·
Registered
224 Posts
That shaft is supposed to move in and out with suspension travel. (NOT IN AND OUT OF THE DIFF) but in and out within the c/v joint housings.

IT does not look like the inner joint is moving in and out of the diff which would be an issue ...But maybe he can clear this up // is the inner housing moving in and out of the diff or is the shaft moving in and out of the c/v ends ? ?

I would pump it full of grease used for C/V joints (Boot kit) or replace the shaft.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why? Just figure it out.. It's not that difficult to remove/replace a cv joint.

What did you set all your torques at?
Good point. I am just having trouble justifying that $130 bill for a new one. I really can't say with 100% accuracy but i feel that the abnormal noise is coming from the diff. side. So your saying that on the differential side there should be no play at all? There is just a snap ring there that holds the joint together? That makes some sense now. I must have dislodged it or somehow broken it to allow that much movement.

Torques? Haha, i just got that hub nut as tight as i could manage to get it and bolted the diff. end to the flange pretty tight with a 3/8" ratchet.

Thanks again though guys for the trouble-shooting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts