GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shalom, me again.

I want to start out by saying that I still believe going into 2020 that the GMT800 GM truck platform is the best bang for you buck. I love those truck, parts are cheap and plentiful, they still feel within this century and they're very reliable. I just stopped daily driving my 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. It has 211,500 miles and plenty of life left but I felt that it was time to move onto something a bit nicer and newer. I wanted a K2 platform truck because in a half ton they offered a true crew cab 6.5' bed. Otherwise I was looking into rusty or high mileage 2500hd GMT800/900. Also diesel was not an option as I didnt want the added maintenance, complications with and older used diesel engine.

Finding a true crew 6.5' bed proved to be wildly impossible. I ended up finding my truck at Mangino Buick GMC near my on a FB ad. It was several thousands below bluebook and I had to jump on it.

Basics
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Certified Pre-Owned
Crew Cab 6.5' Bed.
Black on Black
5.3l 6l80e
50,021 Miles upon me taking ownership

1 Year/12,000 Mile bumper to bumper. [12/27/2020 or 62,021miles]
6 Year/100,000 Mile powertrain from inservice date. [9/12/2021 or 100,000 miles]

Had to note that I had a trailer on my truck within 24 hours and towing with these things are incredible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Plans for the truck.

I removed the tonneau in favor of my Weatherguard toolbox.
I ordered LED High, Low, Fog, Reverse and plate lights as everything else is already LED.
I need to get the truck tinted.
I'm planning on replacing my tubular side steps with the square ones as my co-worker has a set that needs some work as its flaking but i can clean them up.
I'm undecided whether to level the front of the truck or the lower the rear.
I want big chrome wheels like hostile sprockets or something that are not these factory 20's.
I want to send the headunit out in order to get the projection so I can use apple car play as this is one feature that I really which came in all 14+ trucks.

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,240 Posts
Hell yeah! I love my 15 for towing! I have the 5.3 with 6spd max tow . I'm at 200k and still running and looking great. I did have to put a new trans in but this truck has been used for work since day 1 and I push it pretty hard anytime I drive it. It's just fun! Anyway, you won't be disappointed if you stay within its limits obviously. I actually just picked up an 06 HD duramax and I have enjoyed the last week daily driving it! I never had a 800 but I'm loving this platform just as I have the 900 and k2s.

Good luck with it and I love the fact that they made the 6.5 bed available on the 1500s. I needed the space and they look more proportional.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hell yeah! I love my 15 for towing! I have the 5.3 with 6spd max tow . I'm at 200k and still running and looking great. I did have to put a new trans in but this truck has been used for work since day 1 and I push it pretty hard anytime I drive it. It's just fun! Anyway, you won't be disappointed if you stay within its limits obviously. I actually just picked up an 06 HD duramax and I have enjoyed the last week daily driving it! I never had a 800 but I'm loving this platform just as I have the 900 and k2s.

Good luck with it and I love the fact that they made the 6.5 bed available on the 1500s. I needed the space and they look more proportional.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Nice to hear that the transmissions still dont go to 200k lol. My 06 is original but has a trucool on it.
When did yours go and did you ever do service on it? Was it expensive to replace.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Needs a good cleaning but I got a whole set of weathertech floor mats for $50 today from a friend from HS. He got rid of his 2015. And so begings the slippery slope.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Went and visited my friend who got the first new truck; 2017 2500hd High country. Good thing his L5P emissions is failing already.

Regardless I managed to get the High, Low, Fog, Reverse and plate lights LED's in. Aside from the cab lights on the 3rd light is all now LED. I have under bed rail LED lights. Its crazy how much nicer bright white LEDs look over halogens.

I have agreed to by the chrome square side steps as well so that will have to happen soon as I think the current ones look bad.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So I have accquire the square side steps for $20 and they're in rough shape. I was wondering if I should try and have them rechromed or powdercoated something silvery. I dont know yet but the corrosion is mind blowing how bad it is haha. Those will be going on this week just for the winter because I really dont like the current ones.

I also have been looking at all of the leveling kits. I want king coilovers. I cannot afford king coilovers. The same coworker that sold me the steps have them and they're incredible. But since I'm looking to do this cheaper than 2k, I'm thinking of a either a readylift 2.25" or a motofabs 2.5 and a set of upper control arms probably cognito and a set of bilstein 5100's in the rear. We will see though. I still have so researching that has to be done.

I also was given a voucher from the dealer which I bought the truck from for a second key and fob at no added cost so I will get that soon as well as tint the truck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the OEM 20's off and put them on my best friends Denali. I hated them since day 1. I put my old 17in Denali wheels with brand new falken wildpeaks on from my previous truck for the winter.

I got some amazon frame plugs for the rear frame of the truck so that it cleans up the look and tries to keep some of the smutt out of those tubular cross members. When I fluid film the truck I will put them in. I got the cheapest amazon center console organizer for the truck which is also a lifesaver. Chevy wanted $50 and this one was $10. Great addition. I got a nicely reviewed shorty antenna for the truck. I never listen to the radio but I wanted the option to if I ever had too. And lastly the TPMS tool for when I choose to get new wheels and I dont want to have to have the dealer flash them for me. $10 its a nice little tool to have.

Amazon Link
Cheap center console organizer
Antenna
Frame hole plugs
TPMS Tool

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got another set of mint Chevy square side steps. I personally think they look much better. The second picture is a reference for the look I want for the truck. I also have a readylift 2.25" leveling kit I got from a family friend. Lastly I love the way that my old wheels look on my friends Denali

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Another update. I did a cabin airfilter because I felt like the HVAC was working way harder than it needed to be and I was right. 53k and its was this bad lol. I replaced it with a Charcoal filter.

I hardwired my radar detector with my old mirror mount off my last pickup truck. I used the 12v power from the purple with white strip from my power rear window and used the overhead console screw as a ground to the inner roof skin. Ran the power wire for the radar out the same hole as the mirror and its much cleaner, being that its a LTZ I would like to keep it "clean."

The stupid front valence broke. Idk if my dad hit a snowbank using it but I pulled it off because it was falling apart. I may replace it with an amazon special but for now I dont care enough.

I vinyl wrapped the front emblem. I debadged the tailgate and I took a real photo of the truck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Leveled the truck this weekend using only the top spacer from the ReadyLift 2.25in level. I installed both the upper strut spacer and the lower spacer but the truck had notice Carolina Squatt, Tenessee Tilt whatever lame shit you wanna call it. I measured about 39.75" F with both spacers and 38.5" in the rear. I took the lower spacers out and left the top spacer in and it sits perfect 38.5" at all four corners.

Going to get either Hostile Blaze or American Force trax 20x12s with a street tires for the summer and keep the old denali wheels with Falken Wildpeaks for winter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Being that we are in the mist of an epic pandemic I wanted to make sure my truck would be ready to party. I took my truck to the dealer for the first time since 2013. I just beat the poor truck pretty good so I want to make sure it was taken care of especially with the warranty.

54,700 miles.
8 qts of 0w20 and filter. $50 cant beat that.
16qts, filter and gasket for the transmissions severe service. $179.
Front alignment. $69.

Feels good, truck shifts awesome. Glad to know I am all set.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I went out shooting in the midst of a quarentine. Took the truck through mud and it made me sick to my stomach. I took the truck liners out and cleared all the mud out and re-fluid filmed the underside of the truck.

I also managed to get all the fluids done on the truck at the 55,000 miles. Went with lucas synthetic 75w90 gear oil for the front and rear differentials and Napa Dex6 for the transfer case. I will say that the rear end clunk is now gone, and the rear diffs seem to be a little on the low side. There was a considerable amount of metal on the transfer case and the fluid came out very very black. I assume a lot of people leave these trucks in in auto 4wheel and it doesnt help.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those wheels look so goofy on it
I have my new wheels sitting in my house, but Custom Offsets sent me 3 Chevrolet 1500 wheels and a F150 wheel.... So I have the new wheel replacement coming in and will hopefully have those on by the weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

December 31st, 2019

April 25th, 2019

Its a 2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ Premium.
20x10-19 Hostile Vulcan
285/50/20 Nitto NT420S. I wanted the V's but the S's were cheaper
ReadyLift 2.25" level, with the under strut spacer removed.

LED Everything. Low, High, Fogs, Interior & Puddle (OEM), Reverse, Cargo (i broke the third brake like so be careful, $117....), Plate Lights
Shorty Antenna (removed it, gonna see how I like it)
Tint 20% front windows. 5% like 12inch strip
Weatherguard box
Square Side Steps

All the fluids on the truck are current. Front diff, transmission, transfercase, rear differential. Diffs are 75w90 Lucas Heavy Duty Synthetic Gear Oil. Trans and TC are Dex6.
I will need to do spark plugs and wires soon, truck has 56,600 miles.
Cabin and airfilter have been changed recently.

The last couple of things I want to do with the truck are a..
  • Catch Can cause F GDI motors
  • Single Exit Catback
  • Tune the AFM out cause its honestly the worst part of the truck
  • Windshield Tint. I have the tint, I've been just so lazy working on my parents stuff and my BMW swap. So this will happen soon.
  • The most expensive is the OEM Carplay Upgrade.
  • 2016+ LED Tail lights.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts