GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I peed in your pool. Yay!
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally convinced my wife that i need a lift to survive. But i'm having trouble deciding how big to go. The smallest i want to go would be 6" with 35's. The biggest i would go is 12" with 38's. I was just wondering if a 10-12 inch with 38's would be out of the picture for a pretty much daily driver. .
And She wants to see some pics of 6"ers and 10-12"ers b/c she thinks that is too big. THANKS ERRRRONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.................................................Jake

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
Id say make a compromise and go w/ a 6 + 3 w/ 36s or 37s. :anitoof:

·
I peed in your pool. Yay!
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont really care for body lifts...

I've thought about it a lot though. I've seen a 6+3 on 38's and i was drooling, i have a while to think about it though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Jeff said:
just get whatever you want. does she ask permission to get her nails done ?? :anitoof:
:lol: Yeah that would go over reallll well.

Go with as big as you can get away with now. Cause you'll end up just wanting to go a little higher later.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
im happy as hell with my 6" and 35s. i dont really think i would go bigger. this is an easy to deal with height. my g/f can barely get in it tho, even with steps.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
I drive my truck with about 14" of lift and 38's to work everyday and thats a 27 mile trip one way! :D:D

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
while we're all here on the subject of daily driven lifted trucks. how much extra wear and tear woudl a lift kit have on the stock parts. for example, drive 2 trucks, one stock and one the exact same but with a big lift like sevenfolds and drive them the same distance down the same roads for like a year. how would that come into play? i want to lift my truck, but it has 17,000 miles on it and i would wanna go big, but i decided not to lift it because i thought that maybe the truck wouldnt last as long cuz maybe the lift stressed out some parts. id like to have the truck atleast 5 years, but during those 5 years i dont wanna goto the dealer all the time cuz i need to replace all these parts

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
lifted truck dependability all depends on the driver. big lifts and big tires puts alot more stress on joints. but if you are easy on it they will last. if you drive it like a 16 year old when they first get their liscense, stuff will wear and break fast.

lost of factors comp into play, including any offroading and how hard of wheeling it is. its very hard to say exactly how many miles a big lifted truck will lose off of its balljoint life. it could be a different figure for everyone

on the subject of size. big is cool. no doubt. but its expensive. i had a 94 with a 6 inch lift and 35s. at the time it felt small, but looking back on it, i really liked the size. it was big enough to tower over all the other cars in the parkin lot, but it was small enough to park in that parking lot :D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
spitfire2332 said:
while we're all here on the subject of daily driven lifted trucks. how much extra wear and tear woudl a lift kit have on the stock parts. for example, drive 2 trucks, one stock and one the exact same but with a big lift like sevenfolds and drive them the same distance down the same roads for like a year. how would that come into play? i want to lift my truck, but it has 17,000 miles on it and i would wanna go big, but i decided not to lift it because i thought that maybe the truck wouldnt last as long cuz maybe the lift stressed out some parts. id like to have the truck atleast 5 years, but during those 5 years i dont wanna goto the dealer all the time cuz i need to replace all these parts

It will last as long as you want to keep buying parts for it. Bigger than stock tires will wear out suspension components faster, as we all know. I don't think anybody has done any tests though to come up with an exact mileage, too many variables anyway. The things that wear out most are your ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman/idler arms and CV shafts/joints.

Why go to the dealer for that stuff though? As good/better parts can be had for less elsewhere, and it doesn't take a genius to install them. For example, the balljoints I installed on a truck this summer from Carquest were made by Moog.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Jeff said:
lifted truck dependability all depends on the driver. big lifts and big tires puts alot more stress on joints. but if you are easy on it they will last. if you drive it like a 16 year old when they first get their liscense, stuff will wear and break fast.

lost of factors comp into play, including any offroading and how hard of wheeling it is. its very hard to say exactly how many miles a big lifted truck will lose off of its balljoint life. it could be a different figure for everyone

on the subject of size. big is cool. no doubt. but its expensive. i had a 94 with a 6 inch lift and 35s. at the time it felt small, but looking back on it, i really liked the size. it was big enough to tower over all the other cars in the parkin lot, but it was small enough to park in that parking lot :D
well i definetly dont drive my truck like a 16 year old, thats what my 95 civic is for, and even that i drive decent. but when i drive my truck i baby it; i hard ever floor it, its only been floored 5 times at the most, i dont take turns going super fast or anything. i dunno, i want a lift but i want it to be huge. i think if you get a big truck that it should be BIG; theres this ford f250 down the road with an 11" lift and 44s, now i know a lift on a ford is diff then chevy but my god, its huge and friggin sweet. then theres this teal OBS with what looks like a 10" lift, but i dunno. id really have to see a 6" and a 10" in person to see what i wanted...but no one around here really has any lifted trucks.

Whifflebat said:
Why go to the dealer for that stuff though? As good/better parts can be had for less elsewhere, and it doesn't take a genius to install them. For example, the balljoints I installed on a truck this summer from Carquest were made by Moog.
go to the dealer because if they install it, and it gets fucked up its their fault, not mine...you never know.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
One thing I want to stress is it's NOT the lift kit that wears out parts. It's the tire size and the extra weight of the tires/wheels that wear down parts. Like sevenfold said, there are a lot of quality suspension kits out their that replace or upgrade the weak points in the stock suspension when you lift these type of trucks. There are a few companies that replace the upper control arm. There are a lot of shops that will upgrade your stock tie rods, such as Cognito. Bulletproof suspensions even offers a full cross over steering system for our ifs trucks. If you do it right, and upgrade all of the weak points, a 12" lift with 37-40" tires can be a daily driver. If you are worried about wear and tear, and don't feel like spending the money to upgrade these parts, then stick to a 35" tire or less.

Common weak points: Upper ball joints, tie rods, and idler/pitman arms

Wheel bearings can sometimes be a problem.
I wouldn't stress too much about cv joints. As long as you don't crank your torsion bars more than an inch and don't mash off road, they aren't a huge problem with new trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts