GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. how much cheaper is a dana 44 swap than a dana 60 swap? And if your gonna do it what axle out of which truck is best :devil:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Good lord can we ask the same question enough times in a week?

About $987.33 cheaper and for your t-case you need a 78-79 ford dana 44, for a pass. drop t-case you can use any gm d44.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
still freaking expensive, like 6k+

Its amazing how a few pics of a SFA swap start 100 questions!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gawd......settle down

Sorry i havent been looking around the site much lately so due to school so im trying to get the answers myself instead of searching gods green earth.

Since im asking, whats the deal with the transfer case?

:think:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I really dont see how its 6k. You can get a hi pinion dana44 that is in good shape for not that much. Hell for 1k you can get it geared, locked, disc'd(new brakes) with perches. This is actually the route im going to go, swap in a dana44 then when i have enough for a 60 swap in the 60 and use the 44 for a future project.

14 bolt bolt in ready, with 6 lug hubs(if you need/want them, if not then minus 500), gears, detroit, perches and disc brakes = 1500

Dana44 hi pinion gears etc...1000 plus or minus a hundred

springs for the front couple hundred

hangers, brake lines few hundred more

I understand if you want new wheels, tires, transfer case, 1000 dollar used axle etc...but they arent necessary for the swap .

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
so far in with a Ford 44 i have 4 grand. Thats just everything to get the initial swap. That doesnt include any gearing or wheels and tires yet just the basic swap

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ight.....this may sound like a complete dumbass question but can you move the spring perches of an axle? Like to make any driver side diff. front axle compatible for a Sfa swap on a chevy and for use with wider tires?
:crazy:

·
6,656 Posts
Dan - all of those numbers look good on paper but arnt realistic. It will cost you more than that I 100% promise. No way can you get a d44 geared locked and rebuilt for 1000 unless you get incredibally lucky. You can look at my price list, shit is ALWAYS more than it seems.

As far as moving perches you cant on the front because the diff side perch is cast into the housing.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
im taking it you mean so you can basicly make a gm axle work anyway by moving the perches and not needing a new T-case. No it will nto work. To do that theaxle would actually need flipped end for end which in turn would throw your steering componets and everything off. BUT perches can be moved inward and outward on the tube for different width frame trucks

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
As far as moving perches you cant on the front because the diff side perch is cast into the housing.
Oops forgot about that :crazy:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
And you can't flip the axle end over end or else it will drive backwards... You can do it but it involves pressing the tubes out of the diff and swapping the tubes to the other side... But then you have to weld on a new perch on the diff side since the cast into the housing will be on the wrong side of the diff. Alot of work for a dana 44...

·
6,656 Posts
in other words its cheaper and easier in most cases to just buy the HP ford one.

·
Registered
832 Posts
stephen - i realize unexpeceted things come up, but 16.5 stazworks, 42s, dana60 with 35 spline shafts and locker and a new t case wont just come up for me :crazy: :D

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Eisenfaust said:
stephen - i realize unexpeceted things come up, but 16.5 stazworks, 42s, dana60 with 35 spline shafts and locker and a new t case wont just come up for me :crazy: :D
Me neither! :anitoof:

·
6,656 Posts
no, but there is still alot of other things. You WILL need tires and wheel, the stazworks werent cheap but not outragious - 1000 for all 4. Steel ones are like 400ish. 35 splines shafts were 200, dont have a front locker, and t-case was 300 so like 1500 off what i spent. 2500 even, and your still at 7000-7500

·
6,656 Posts
92chevyZ71 said:
i got a complete perfect ready to go d44 and np205 for FREE so my sas is prolly gonna be 2k at the very most :D biatch
belive it when I see it :read:

You know how many people every day say they are going to do it and do it for cheap? You know how many actually do? Talk is easy, and almost no one actually does it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
alright alright ill keep track of EVERY expense and let yall know when its done... i prolly wont even be starting for a month or so though... :D

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i could do a full dana 44 SFA for about 2500. i have a friend that did it on his blazer with a 9" rear for about that cost and rebuilt both axles. i had a dana 44 purchased for my 95, but never got around to it. if you get the axles cheap enough, it is very possible to do this swap for notalot of cash

1 - 20 of 22 Posts