GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my room mate is looking to get rid of a dana 60 FF rear, limited slip and 4.10 gears. any problems with this rear? I'll be using in on my SAS and I'm getting it for $100. I'll post up some pics tomorrow or Sat.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
get a 14bff rear. cheaper to build and stronger imo. D60s aren't bad, but id still MUCH rather have a 14bff.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
30 spline shafts stock sucketh, along with smaller pinion bearings. Boring out the spindles isn't real cheap either.

D70 or 14FF under a fullsize IMO, easily had for $100/pc.

·
5,501 Posts
3rd pinion bearing, drop out pinion support/assembly, 2 piece carrier ( = cheap detroit), 10.5" ring gear, spanners instead of shims for ring backlash, shims between housing and drop out pinion assembly instead of between inner pinoin bearing and gear. about the only con is the larger housing.

d60 ring is 9.75", real common style set up using shims for backlash and pinion depth, pinion shims go between pinoin gear and inner bearing, and carrier shims are actually between the carrier itself and the carrier bearings, not the carrier bearings and the housing. could be 30T or 35T shafts, 35T is the same size as the 30T 14bff shafts. Slightly higher cost to build.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The 35 spline D60 rears are very uncommon. The D44 sized fine 30 spline is mostly what is out there.

The coarse 30 spline in the 14FF was not what I was referring to when I said 30 spline stock sucketh, just to explain myself.

·
5,501 Posts
The 35 spline D60 rears are very uncommon. The D44 sized fine 30 spline is mostly what is out there.

The coarse 30 spline in the 14FF was not what I was referring to when I said 30 spline stock sucketh, just to explain myself.
yeah, 35T d60 rears are uncommon...most of the 35t d60 stuff is front application.

and i guess it does make sense saying that the 30t 60 stuff is about d44 sized...i remember looking at my stubs compared to my 30t 10b stuff.

·
4,725 Posts
Additionally Detroits are more expensive for Dana 60s than 14bolts.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I have a HP dana 44 for the front, so tire size isn't getting wild, not mention the truck will be a street queen.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sasswap015-2.jpg

sasswap014-1.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts