GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in need of a locker or spool for a dana 70-2UA a.k.a. dana 71. does anybody know where to get one or what one will work? we picked this rear end due to the 3.07 gears for a cummins drag truck. but we cant seem to find a locker of any sorts beside the factory LSD thats in it.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
i'm in need of a locker or spool for a dana 70-2UA a.k.a. dana 71. does anybody know where to get one or what one will work? we picked this rear end due to the 3.07 gears for a cummins drag truck. but we cant seem to find a locker of any sorts beside the factory LSD thats in it.
PM this guy on Pirate. If anybody knows, he will.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/member.php?u=23586

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Honestly I don't know of any other differentials available for it. The issue is that the entire pinion is offset to allow for the high 3.07 gears.

I wonder if you swapped it out for a factory 71 open differential if a lunchbox locker for a 70 would work? Although those are known to not be that great at holding power, so probably not a good option. I'm starting to think a lincoln lock/spool would be your best option for a drag only truck.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Weld it up of it's a drag truck
It sounds like it already has a clutch type LSD, if so, welding it is not quite so easy as welding an open diff. You would also have to get rid of the clutches and weld the side gears to the spider gears.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
If you are already in the market for a spool, like stated before, weld it. Take the carrier apart, clean it up, weld the side gears to the carrier, then weld what is left of the spiders to the side gears.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Cheapest options.... Weld current unit.. or buy another common axle with aftermarket support IMO.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
weld it or rebuild the LSD and dont use a friction additive
and depending on the LSD you might be able to get stiffer springs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts