GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new guy here. i have a big problem the dash lights mus have a bad ground cuz when i have the light switch and the dimmer switch in i can turn on the lights and the dash lights up along with the highbeam indicator but the guages die and read nothing. If i turn on a blinker the radio and ac panel will blink also.
Now if i run without the the dimmer, i obviously have no dash lights but if i use the turn signals the guages all blink as in they drop out while the lights blink but come back on between blinks. all the components are new and checked with a second new item with the help of a friend that runs a part store.
been told its a ground or the cluster board but pulled the cluster and board shows no arking or cracks or damage.NOW WHAT want to fix this before i put in a radio, but thats another question for that removal

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
new guy here. i have a big problem the dash lights mus have a bad ground cuz when i have the light switch and the dimmer switch in i can turn on the lights and the dash lights up along with the highbeam indicator but the guages die and read nothing. If i turn on a blinker the radio and ac panel will blink also.
Now if i run without the the dimmer, i obviously have no dash lights but if i use the turn signals the guages all blink as in they drop out while the lights blink but come back on between blinks. all the components are new and checked with a second new item with the help of a friend that runs a part store.
been told its a ground or the cluster board but pulled the cluster and board shows no arking or cracks or damage.NOW WHAT want to fix this before i put in a radio, but thats another question for that removal
What year is your truck?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
its an 89
It's been a while for me so I don't remember, but is that one that has the plastic with the copper traces in it and the cluster plugs into a molex plug? If so, those are notorious for having burn spots, breaks, and poor connections in them. Inspect that and see if there is anything apparent on the cluster itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled it out and the back of the board shows nothing of the sort. didnt pull each guage out of the cluster tho could it be on the "front" side where the guages plug into

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
pulled it out and the back of the board shows nothing of the sort. didnt pull each guage out of the cluster tho could it be on the "front" side where the guages plug into
Crazy thought. Have you checked your battery terminals for corrosion? Like, physically removed them and checked? That could be the root of it. I've also seen a bad alternator do crazy things like that before too.

In either case, it sounds like you need a wiring diagram so you can check voltages at the cluster. The cluster may just be bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts