GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of DDM Tuning HID's. Bought the full kit including the wiring/relay harness and mounting brackets. (9006, 35w, 5000K.) First off, it comes direct from China. The only English on the box was my address. This complicates the ordering process as it took several weeks to arrive, even though DDM Tuning told me as a fact that it "usually takes 7-10 days to arrive."

I know a lot of you guys use, have used, or are thinking about using DDM Tuning HID's...well, here's my review on the product and the company. I'm not trying to smear the company by any means, but these are the facts according to my experience.

First off - the saying of "you get what you pay for" could absolutely not be more accurate in this case. You might get away with a full HID kit for $60 bucks but it's just not worth it. Let me explain. Everything is quite obviously the cheapest, bulk made crap you can imagine. I have dealt with a ton of cheap truck parts over the last decade but I have NEVER, ever seen anything of this low quality. Every single last molecule is lightweight, does not appear durable, looks and feels cheap, and is cheap. The parts are so cheap, in fact, that I'm shocked that they actually function. That was my first impression when I opened the box and it has proven to be true. Contrarily it all does appear to be professionally assembled. It's obvious they have found a manufacturer in China to keep the costs as low as possible, probably down to the last 0.0001% of a penny, and still have the kit actually function. I'm not kidding - I have never seen anything like this.

I hooked everything up as instructed and while the kit does not include instructions, a set of simple instructions (that don't help at all) are available online - and only one side lit up. I don't know if the bulb broke in transit or the ballast is bad but something didn't work right. I believe they have a lifetime warranty on the bulbs and possibly the ballasts but I don't feel comfortable using this kit in my truck so I'm not going to pursue that any further. Judging off of the quality, or lack thereof, of the kit, I didn't even mess around with it further to see if I could swap the sides, and troubleshoot the issue. Fact is, upon arrival from China, 50% of the kit doesn't work.

At this point I honestly would not feel comfortable installing this kit in my truck at all. I can only imagine putting a kit like this on a $40,000 dollar NNBS 2011 Silverado. I've dealt with cheap shit before but I've NEVER seen anything like this.

Contrarily to their product quality, DDM's customer service is up to par with the best. I had called to change my order from a 6000K to a 5000K (changed my mind at the last minute) and they changed it over with no issues and no hold time, etc. I told the guy I talked to that there were rumors on the Internet about the kits coming straight from China. I told him I'd like to clear that up if it weren't true. He said that in most cases that is 2true but that it did not affect shipping times and that it takes 7-10 days from ordering to your doorstep. Mine took around three weeks to get here.

Overall - stay far away from these IMO. If you need HID's, spend a few extra bucks and go with Spencer's HID's or a similar quality kit.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
never had a problem with any of the 12 kits ive installed. btw i bought all 12 kits for the same price as like 2 from spencer.

·
never finished
2,239 Posts
did you try reversing the polarity on the light that didnt work? plugging it in backwards? I cant justify paying $200-$300 for a set of lights I can get for $40. I get mine from HIDGate (Ebay), shipped straight from Cali. I've bought, used, and installed dozens and havent had a single issue. Generally gets here within three days.

Good review though, I wouldnt buy from china either.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
ive never really had any issues either. couple bad ballasts after a year or so, but its no worse than silverstars at all. thats on the 10-15 kits ive also done. i dont expect them to last forever for 40 bucks...

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough. I knew they were common. The quality is ridiculously cheap though and you most definitely get what you pay for. Just not worth it in my opinion. I'd rather pay $150-200 and not have to worry about my truck burning to the ground.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
i also use hdgate... never had any serious problems.

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you hook up both of the stock 9006 harnesses to the DDM ballasts? The instructions say to hook both of them up but I was under the impression that you are only supposed to hook up one. Where did you run all of the wires? Any photos of any of the jobs you've done under the engine bay? Where did you mount the negative terminal? Did you put the + directly on the terminal on the battery? Just curious...not sure why one side didn't work. I'd hope it was just something I did wrong but then again, there's only one way to hook it up really.

Where did you mount the relay? Under the grille area?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been to their office personally. The offce is in North San Diego. Very small outfit. Did you buy the cheaper raptor kit or the slim ballast kit? I've bought close to 10 kits for various vehicles including 2 motorcycles and I've only had one ballast go out. Never had any other issues with their kits. I plan on buying 2 kits for my GMC from them once I get some projector headlamps.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Sorry you're having trouble Jeff, but I would certainly try to sort out the one side that's not lighting first before giving up on it.

Which side isn't lighting? I went straight off the positive battery terminal and found a bolt that attaches to the body of the truck for ground. Both ballasts attach to the relay harness but only one side connects to the truck's wiring harness (usually the side closest to the battery).

I understand your point of view but I guarantee there aren't any HID kits manufactured in NA. Whether DDM buys the kits in bulk from China and warehouses them in the states, and ships from a US address or ships direct from China doesn't change the quality of the kit.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
did you try reversing the polarity on the light that didnt work? plugging it in backwards? I cant justify paying $200-$300 for a set of lights I can get for $40. I get mine from HIDGate (Ebay), shipped straight from Cali. I've bought, used, and installed dozens and havent had a single issue. Generally gets here within three days.

Good review though, I wouldnt buy from china either.
Yeah just gotta flip the plug around.

And Ed, your lights are just as Chinese as jeffs.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Oh and the reason your order wasn't delayed when you changed it is because they probably send out the same bulbs for 5000k and 6000k. There was a thread about that a while back.

·
Mr.Papagiorgio
2,359 Posts
http://www.vhid.com/

Problemo Jeff ?

Probably the best HID's I've bought. Had them for 3 years now with wig wags hooked up to them. I flash my lights all the time, no big deal.

I'm sorry I dont give a rats ass who you are but 150-200 bucks for hids is fucking ludacris. I'll buy HID's from DDM put my company's name on it call them american and fuck you in the ass with them.

·
Mr.Papagiorgio
2,359 Posts
http://www.vhid.com/

Problemo Jeff ?

Probably the best HID's I've bought. Had them for 3 years now with wig wags hooked up to them. I flash my lights all the time, no big deal.

I'm sorry I dont give a rats ass who you are but 150-200 bucks for hids is fucking ludicrous. I'll buy HID's from DDM put my company's name on it call them american and fuck you in the ass with them.

·
QuadraSteernado
8,385 Posts
and incase anyone is curious as to where they come from

My last kit originated straight from:
SUZHOU EMS, CHINA PEOPLES REP

:jester:

I NEVER RECEIVED IT EITHER

Shit I forgot about that :roflmao:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have not had any problems with the 18+ kits I have bought from DDM. Their customer service is great. I have used the "raptor" kit as well as their slim ballast kit with no issues.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh and the reason your order wasn't delayed when you changed it is because they probably send out the same bulbs for 5000k and 6000k. There was a thread about that a while back.
Actually, the bulbs are the only thing that are different between the kits. They ballasts are the same. Thats also why, if you have a bulb burn out, they send you two new ones. That also insures that there is no color difference between your bulbs.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
relay for 35watt bulbs? hmm. i bought my ddm kit from the store over here in huntington beach. guys working there were very nice with very good service. and installation instructions? really? they plug right in. i could never justify spending over $100 on a kit, that is regoddamndiculous.

·
Whatcha wanna do???
1,951 Posts
Everything is made in China these days. Who gives a fuck?
I got all 3 of my kits from.HIDGATE. Going on three years now and the only problem was one burnt out bulb on my fogs, which I leave on all the time even during the day. See my sig.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts