GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck's pretty new,2010 6.2 with only 47,000 on the clock, but I'm wondering if I've got a carbon buildup issue because I got a recent tune from BBP and Justin noted excessive detonation. I run 91, which is the best available around here, and always have run at least 91 since new. So, I'm wondering if I've got a carbon buildup that might be causing the detonation instead of the fuel?

Anyway, main reason for the post is to see if anyone has had the dealer de-carbon service and any thoughts? Local dealer said they use GM Top Engine Cleaner through the fuel rail and then pour some gunk in the oil, also, which is supposed to hit the piston skirts. Then they change the oil. Seems like a comprehensive effort to hit the top and bottom side of the pistons.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did check out that 30+ page thread, but don't recall seeing anyone mentioning dealer experience?????????????????

·
4,725 Posts
Because you can get a $4 can of seafoam and do it yourself in 15 minutes with a set of channel locks.

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,254 Posts
Because you can get a $4 can of seafoam and do it yourself in 15 minutes with a set of channel locks.
Where are you getting seafoam for $4? where im at the absolute cheapest around is about $8 a can with my company discount.

·
Registered
729 Posts
My truck's pretty new,2010 6.2 with only 47,000 on the clock, but I'm wondering if I've got a carbon buildup issue because I got a recent tune from BBP and Justin noted excessive detonation.
was detonation happening before or after your tune?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Change your plugs one step colder.
Sea foam the engine then install a catch can immediatly.
Might as well pop the TB off and clean it aswell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts