GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my truck in with what I thought was a t-case or diff problem turns out it was my rear diff the dealer wants 1725.00 to put another G80 in. LOL What should I buy for a set of gears?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
Dude I searched, I couldn't find anything in summit or jegs for our trucks. I'm gonna say Eaton Truetrac! Can't beat that beast. As far as gears... I don't think you want to change your ratio, because you have to match it up front. And thats a huge PIA to tear your front diff apart. If your R&P are in good shape, then swap them right over to the new carrier.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
go find a 4x4 shop and it'll be much much cheaper. I'm extremely happy with my yukon limited slip. I was kind of apprehensive about putting a limited slip in but it performs great and improves the strength of my 10 bolt.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if my ring and pinion is bad? How do you tell?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
What if my ring and pinion is bad? How do you tell?
if you pull it apart, you should be able to see if it is bad or just what. itll have chips, chunks missing, etc...hell, post up pics or PM me some if you get it apart and ill tell you. If they are bad, go ahead and move up to 4.11s, hell, 4.56s if you think you will be going to a 35" tire at some point. I don't keep up too much with LSDs and whats offered for 10bs, but i know a few people have the trutrac and like it. If moneys tight, you could always toss in a junkyard open carrier...but at the least, you are gonna want to buy a gear install kit to get shims and new carrier bearings.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the true trac today it will be here friday so pics are coming on friday thanks. I also got the master install kit with carrier bearing are they hard to replace?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wouldn't call it an easy do-it-yourself job. Not that it's hard to throw one in, but if the backlash and preload aren't set correct the gears will howl something terrible.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
only bearing thats really a PITA is the pinion bearing...it can take some time because you dont wanna press it on immediately as you need the right shims, backlash, etc. before you press fit it on.

my dealer charged me $3000 to rebuild my 10bolt, but the bill was sent to Ford since it came with a warranty from a ford dealership. Only thing factory left on the rearend is the housing and cover. :rocking:

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts