GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 chevy 1500 z71 with the ntd rough country 6 inch cranked to level with 285 75 16 falkins on it. for about the past two weeks anything above 50mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy. first thought was tires out of balance. got em balanced and still the same. second thought something in front end wore out again. within the last 20k miles ive replaced idler pitman tie rods ball joints and hubs. checked it and everything is still tight. so here i am stumped and seeing if any of yall had the same problem and found out what it was.. thanks for any help guys

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mines does the same. Checked drive shaft?

·
4,725 Posts
if it's death wobble check your caster.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alignment is in check i threw it on the machine at work today. and i dont think it would be a bad tire because i just got them in march but i have road hazard so i might run by discount and have them check for out of round.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i mean i would expect it to shake if i had mud terrains but i have all terrains.. and no i dont believe the driveshaft would make the steering wheel shake.

·
01 sierra
128 Posts
Had a u joint start to go bad and my truck felt like it was gonna fall apart at anything over 25 mph, so I doubt its a driveshaft issue I'd have the tires re balanced and see if that helps, maybe put the fronts to the back to see if it moves the vibration at all

Sent from my pos BlackBerry

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd check the tires dude, i had a bad vibration at one time and it was from a bad tire.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill rotate and balance tomorrow didnt have time to make it to discount tire today.. it seems to be gettin worse with more time.. had a guy from work drive my truck and he couldnt figure it out to save his life everything in the front end still tight as new so only thing possible could be tires and wheels. ill let yall know. thanks for the help!

·
ya gotta pay to play
7,583 Posts
bad tire...my gf's tires starting doing that. have the tires road forced and itll tell all. when u rotate the tires itll go away...thatll narrow it down to 2 tires as to which is bad.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Are any of your tires making a "slapping" noise against the pavement, a seperated belt in a tire might do this.

Also probobly not very likely, but check your rotors? Bad rotors can make your steering wheel shake pretty violently. Went through this on my dads OBS truck, shook almost dangerously sometimes.

Try to explain the shaking more, Is it shaking the steering wheel back and forth, or is it just a bad vibration? Does the shaking improve/get worse under braking? Is the shaking constantly the same, or is it worse sometimes than others? Is it speed relative and does it change the faster you go above 50 mph?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the shaking is in the steering wheel back and forth. starts at 45ish and gets worse as speed increases. not the brakes just got brand new brakes at all 4 corners in February. its pretty much the same every time but when i pull our flat bed trailer with about 3000lbs on it the shaking gets a little worse, braking doesnt effect the vibration.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Gotta be something with the rims/tires IMO. If you ever take it in the mud, check to see if you have mud caked inside your rims, Ive seen that a couple times, and can throw the balence wayyy off but sounds like a tire problem probobly a bead seperated. I guess it could also be a bent rim, but you would know it if you hit something hard enough to bend a rim. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Like said get them road forced balance. Them toyos I had did the same thing from 40 and up, traded em for these nittos and haven't had a problem since. They took a stupid amount of weight to balance too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bubble in your tire. It's a tire manufacture defect most likely. Sometimes it's very hard to spot the bubble, so like someone else suggested swap two tires out at a time, then when the problem doesn't persist, put one old tire back on, if it shakes, take that tire off again, light it on fire and roll it into a lake. If it doesn't shake, then you know the last tire is the lake-fire, destined tire. You could even use your spare to swap out one tire at a time to run trial-by-error, then drive to to a tire shop to buy a replacement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts