GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my wife drove my tahoe today and called me and said that she almost went off the road because it was shaking so bad.....I figured she was just being a girl and blowing it out of perportion. But when she got home I took it for a drive and HOLY SHIT its pretty bad. I checked everything out, steering box is a little loose when the engine is off so I'm going to replace that, but everything else feels tight. Balljoints feel tight, tie rod ends feel tight, wheels are tight, but I think I'm just going to get the parts and replace what I can afford right now.

But my question is will a 2wd steering box fit a 4wd truck? I have a 92 2wd steering box but my tahoe is a 97 4wd. The pitman arm is the same and I'm sure the bolt pattern is the same but I just want to make sure before I get it all apart tomorrow.

But help on what to look for would be appreciated. But if the road is smooth its fine, but if it gets bumpy the front end starts to shake really bad. I haven't got an alignment yet, because I'm waiting from me new keys to show up and I'm sure that has something to do with it

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can tighten the gear box from the top. there's a lock nut on an allen head stud on the top of the box. crack the nut loose, and try tightening the allen about a 1/4 turn at a time. i don't know if yours has one or not, but jeeps will do the same thing with a bad stgeering stabilizer.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can tighten the gear box from the top. there's a lock nut on an allen head stud on the top of the box. crack the nut loose, and try tightening the allen about a 1/4 turn at a time. i don't know if yours has one or not, but jeeps will do the same thing with a bad steering stabilizer.
Yes, but I have heard that it can hurt the steering box by tightening it more than the factory preset and that its just a bandaid fix. My truck doesn't have a steering stablilzer either.

But I have 2 steering boxes, one from an 88 and one from a 92, but they are both 2wd and I looked up the part numbers and it lists 2 different ones from 92-97 but I figured it was just a line change or they moved the fittings a little bit. Tomorrow I'm going to get new inner and outer tie rod ends and next week I'll get new balljoints and whatever other misc parts I will need. Then go and get it aligned to make 100% sure that thats not the problem.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it will probably go away with an alignment.
ehhh I'm guessing its more than an alignment, not saying that it doesn't have something to do with it, but it shakes so viontely (SP) that it nearly rips the wheel out of your hand and the only way to get it to stop is to mash on the brakes and try to get it back under control.

If it was a little virbation I wouldn't be soo concerned, but this is really bad

·
Registered
186 Posts
holy crap that sounds dangerous! i did a decrank on my truck for around 1 1/4 inches and didnt have it aligned for months, and the worst it did was feather my already crap tires...

the only thing i can think of is, by dropping the front you effectively changed the angle of the control arms relative to horizontal, in other words you made it have negative caster, which means you moved the pivot angle of the spindle forward, that would cause bumpsteer and the wheel to follow any groove in the road, any alignment shop worth a crap can fix this. the same thing would have happened if you had raised the back end. an alignment should be done after any suspension mod.

oh and btw the only thing new lowering keys will change is how much bolt there is sticking out of the keeper.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
take it to get it aligned. alignment is HUGE. if they can align it and the obvious isn't worn, go from there...theres a PROBLEM and tightening the preload on the gear box is like a bandaid for a gunshot wound...as is adding steering stabilizers. figure out what the problem is and fix it.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
if your toed in or anything it will make it hop around, and makes it darty like you discribe, toed out is a little drag but makes turning easier.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
its an alignment, trust me. along with a new pitman/idler arm and tie rods that will all go away.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it's not out back, its in the steering wheel right?
Yes deffinately steering wheel.

I'm getting new keys to go lower (they are a different index than what I have now to get it lower and still keep perload on the bars)

I know that I need an alignment, but I also know that the steering box is getting worn and needs to be replaced. But everything else is tight. I checked the tie rod ends, ball joints, and everything else when it was apart and they felt tight and no boots were torn.

But I am going to get an alignment, but if I have to replace steering parts then I will have to get another alignment, and another, and another. I'd like to replace everything, but I really can't afford everything right now, especially if its not bad to start out with.

But tomorrow I'll take a closer look, but can someone comfirm if a '92 2wd steering box will fit in a 97 4wd?

Thanks for the replies guys

BTW my decrank only netted me about 1" of drop and it took 2 days to develope the shake

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its an alignment, trust me. along with a new pitman/idler arm and tie rods that will all go away.
I'm planning on inner and outters tomorrow, but I have to see what I can afford this week. I'd like to do everything, but this week is my broke week for bills :(

M

·
0 Posts
Definitely align! If you take it to a good place, I'm sure they'll let you know if there is stuff that you need to replace if that's the case. Don't bother with swapping the steering box yet.

you can tighten the gear box from the top. there's a lock nut on an allen head stud on the top of the box. crack the nut loose, and try tightening the allen about a 1/4 turn at a time. i don't know if yours has one or not, but jeeps will do the same thing with a bad stgeering stabilizer.
This adjusts bearing preload. It's not a magical steering slop correction bolt. Tightening that bolt will increase the required steering effort, but doesn't take up any slack in the steering system.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm planning on inner and outters tomorrow, but I have to see what I can afford this week. I'd like to do everything, but this week is my broke week for bills :(
yea, i dont blame ya, shit gets expensive.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea, i dont blame ya, shit gets expensive.
Yeah I hate being broke. I want to spend some money on my Camaro, but the Tahoe is the DD so I guess it has to get $$$ first :mad:

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
jesus christ dude. get your keys in, and go to the alignment shop. have them throw it on the rack. If they are worth a damn then they will check your balljoints, tie rods, pitman, and idler arms. and if they are worn then they won't align it and you don't pay. if they're good, then you get the alignment and go home. don't start replacing shit that isn't worn.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jesus christ dude. get your keys in, and go to the alignment shop. have them throw it on the rack. If they are worth a damn then they will check your balljoints, tie rods, pitman, and idler arms. and if they are worn then they won't align it and you don't pay. if they're good, then you get the alignment and go home. don't start replacing shit that isn't worn.
WTF crawled in your ass? Mabye I want to replace the shit before its wore out since its my DD and its kinda nice to have something reliable that doesn't have to get replaced.

I made an appointment and the soonest I can get in is wednesday morning and they are going to look it over and let me know if anything is worn out, but everything seemes tight and was ok before I decranked the keys

So settle down, I just don't like not having money, I think we can all agree on that

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
dude i know what its like to not have money. i'm trying to save you money. if its not broke, than don't fix it.

·
Not Rockin' It Stock
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dude i know what its like to not have money. i'm trying to save you money. if its not broke, than don't fix it.
Its cool man, I'm just having a shitty day and I just took the post the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts