GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i am plannin on debadgin my silverado, i wanna take off all the badges, the pinstripe, door molding, and the chrome rocker panels. I have access to a heat gun and was just wondering if there are any tips or special techniques i should know. thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
use a 3m stripe off wheel...its really easy to use

·
Registered
99 Posts
i used 20lb fishing line with wood dowels tied on the end to remove the badges. then went over it with 3m adhesive remover to get the rest of the stickum off. then went over the paint with some automotive polish and a couple coats of wax. it might take longer than the 3m eraser wheel, but it was stuff i had laying around and i had the time.

a six pack and a sunny day will make it go by faster:haha:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yeah 3m wheel is definetly the way to go

·
what the
24 Posts
3M adhesive remover and heat gun are your friends! pin striping was the easy part for me. The side door moldings though were the tough part. That double sided tape they use was not as easy to remove but luckily I had a nice California sunny day to help me out:crazy:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i got the rocker panels off and the body molding there is still some adhesive left behind i am workin on with a heat gun but the pin striping is weathered and cracked and a pain in the ass. so i am just curious where i can buy that 3M wheel thanks

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You might luck up and go to your local auto parts store but if they don't have it then....[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-07498-Hardware/dp/B00063VT0G[/ame]

·
Registered
96 Posts
3m remover kit and heat gun. Wax it afterwards to get kick ass results

·
Registered
582 Posts
Try a local auto paint store. They should have it. CarQuest if you have any of those around.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
and get new rims man those r ugly otherwise looks good

·
GMFS Veteran Member
304 Posts
NAPA. it cost me about 30 bucks...and i didnt even end up using it. turtle wax bug and tar remover(green windex type bottle) took the adhesive off without any effort at all

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm the painter at a body shop and we have to remove moldings and emblems all the time. Use a strong fishing line to cut trough the two-sided tape and then an eraser wheel to remove the tape from the panel. If you use anything else you have a greater chance of scratching the paint which is why some people have to polish after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts