GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'03 Silvy
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best method ya'll have found to remove the big chevrolet sticker on the tailgate? I know for the badge on the rear pillar and teh molding to use a heat gun an some fishing string or dental floss, but not sure what to use on the stickers. Also, will it leave marks afterwards.. and if so, will a good buffing take care of it.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=980&stc=1

^ The big nasty chevy sticker on the tailgate

·
Registered
448 Posts
The best way is to try and take it off when it is hot outside so you do not have to use a heatgun. I took mine off the day after I got it. I used just my fingers to get a starting point and most of the letters came off in one piece. After you get all the letters off, wax your tailgate and it will look good as new.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you're careful you can use acetone to help but you have to be real careful not to damage the paint underneath...Its what I had to do to get that annoying dealer decal off the back of mine...I suggest you use the heat gun to start and the acetone only if you have to (for example a few little bits that stayed stuck as you took off the majority with the heat gun)

and don't wait too long or you may get a slight difference in the paint where the letters were. The paint under the letters fades slower than the paint on the rest of the tailgate. (actually with as stable as modern paints seem to be it would probably take years and years for there to be a difference).

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
I wouldn't use acetone on anything but glass

That back decal just takes some elbo grease and some goo gone or wd40 and just peel it off like a sticker then clean and wax well

·
'03 Silvy
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips on it... gonna probally give it a shot this weekend if the weather holds out.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
3M Adhesive remover works good for glue, but you almost have to spray it and then immedieatly wipe while it's wet .. if you let it sit it doesn't work well to me unless you rewet it .. also changing cloths often is a good thing.

I have a dealership sticker that won't come off, it comes off in little flakes and will take me 6 months to get off by hand, so I bought a vinyl removing wheel from Eastwood Company, just gonna use it the one time and then put it up for sale .. I'll let everyone know how it works.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
bcubed said:
I have a dealership sticker that won't come off, it comes off in little flakes and will take me 6 months to get off by hand, so I bought a vinyl removing wheel from Eastwood Company, just gonna use it the one time and then put it up for sale .. I'll let everyone know how it works.
that sucks, did you try heating it up? i told my salesman to take it off before i left the lot, fortunately it peeled right off. he was all like "you need to leave it on so we know you bought your truck here when it's here for service" so i sez "i'm not advertising for you." dealership stickers, plate frames, etc. suck.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
hovisimo said:
"you need to leave it on so we know you bought your truck here when it's here for service"
I can't believe he said that :lol: .. what does he think records are for? And it's not like your truck doesn't have a VIN number :crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts