GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my family is growing, and I'm looking for a new project that will fit everybody and have a little room to grow.

What my basic "needs" are:
Seating for 5 passengers
Reliability (drive to Moab, then wheel it)
Towing (probably less than 6,000lbs)
Offroad - enough to play, but nothing hardcore

This is my basic plan so far:
1996 - 2001ish Tahoe/Yukon
Solid Axle Swap - Dana 60 / 14 bolt (leaf springs on both ends)
Rear disc brake conversion on the 14 bolt
Selectable locker in the front & rear (eLocker or ARB)
37x12.5x16.5 tires

The questions...
Does the SAS negatively affect the towing?
Is the SAS overkill if I'm not doing anything hardcore?
Should I bother with a Z71 or just go with something stock as I'm dropping a lot of the suspension anyway?

Are there any major differences between the GMT400 and GMT800 that I should consider?

Thank you all for your opinions!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I probably wouldn't bother with getting a z71 unless its a good price since your doing a complete suspension any way. Plans look good and i'd definatly go with the solid axle. If you got the money i'd go with a full on board air system and ARB lockers with a decent size tank so you can air up and run air tools on the trail.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Might want to stick with the IFS for now and get a nice lift that will allow movement in the fenders for those 37's while playing around in Moab, UT. If after your first trip to Moab you think you want to go a little harder you can switch out and sell the lift for some extra funds for the SAS and add that to the money you already saved from not doing the SAS in the first place. If you go with the OBS then SAS that thing out, if you stick to the NBS then work with what you got. But that's just my 2 cents though, I'm not here to argue with others about what's right or wrong, just my opinion buddy. Maybe beef up front end components too with difference from SAS conversion. :shrug:

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Does the SAS negatively affect the towing?
With my 52's up front, when I hook a wagon to the truck the spring rate is so soft the front rises. Changes my caster and changes the COG.

Is the SAS overkill if I'm not doing anything hardcore?
If you have to ask the question, you're not ready for an axle swap.

Should I bother with a Z71 or just go with something stock as I'm dropping a lot of the suspension anyway?
See above answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts