GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has the deepest bolt in notch?

id like to order one up before the bed goes back on.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
not sure about deepest, but get McG's and you'll be fine. Belltech is nice but if you're going to change it out for a step notch later, then just get McG's

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just get the cheapest you can find if you are going to change it anyway...there really isn't much difference between the bolt on notches.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The DJM notch can be set higher up in the frame than the others because it doesn't have a support on the bottom like the Belltech and McGaughy's.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Why waste time and money twice. Either step notch the truck the first time, or don't bother with the bolt-on notch only to take it out later on. Your're wasting time and money installing a bolt-on notch for a few weeks only to weld in a step notch later on. Unless you're getting someone else to do all the work for free and you have extra cash to buy a bolt-on notch.

If you still choose to install a bolt-on notch, then I would go with the Bell Tech or McGaughys style that supports the bottom section of the frame more than the DJM. You're running a cantilever so you'll want as much support as you can provide for the short time it's going to be installed. I wouldn't be concerned with the notch depth because at this point you're talking about 1/2 inch difference possibly.

Later

·
Registered
487 Posts
save your money to get your bed floor raised and then put the step notch in.
with no notch at all and 265/35/22 you wouldnt even tuck tire

Exactly! Everyone has been telling you the same thing in every thread you make.

My truck is my only mode of transportation so when I work on it I need to be able drive it at the end of the day. Plan everything out and you'll be fine. Jizz and I had the front on air, laying inner fender, in pretty much one day.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Alex you need to look at what needs to be done and how important it is. Since the truck is you primary vehicle then you need to consider whats best to keep the truck togther and drivable as long as possible. There is no real need for a bolt-on notch if you are planing on welding in a step notch shortly down the road.
It's just like the old saying "Do it right the first time and take it apart once."

Good luck with the truck and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Exactly! Everyone has been telling you the same thing in every thread you make.

My truck is my only mode of transportation so when I work on it I need to be able drive it at the end of the day. Plan everything out and you'll be fine. Jizz and I had the front on air, laying inner fender, in pretty much one day.
yeah but you had a plan and came prepared
thats like me showing up to work with no wirenuts

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the truck wont get a step notch for a while... like at least a year, unless i come into some money to raise the bed too.

it is taking longer to bag the truck because its my first project, and im learning as i go.

my goal isnt to lay out right now, just on air and low.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
the truck wont get a step notch for a while... like at least a year, unless i come into some money to raise the bed too.

it is taking longer to bag the truck because its my first project, and im learning as i go.

my goal isnt to lay out right now, just on air and low.
Alex...take some advise from me...you've seen how many issues I've run into in building something on the truck i dont plan to have permanent...

Do it right the first time...Wait until you have all the money to do it right... I know how the first projects go....I'm still fixing the issues from my "first project"...Which is why I'm saying, save up a bit longer man.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we'll see, i shouldnt have a problem going from a bolt in to a step notch...

i just cant see my self riding at a 4" rear drop being bagged.:hmm:

·
Bagged and Bodydropped
1,750 Posts
I bolted in my AVS notch, Installed for about a year before I took it out and welded a new one in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It sounds like you are going to run the bolt-on notch for sometime, than I would recommedn that McGaughys notch as it wraps around the bottom of the frame as well. You're going to want as much support through the notch and frame section as possibly and their notch offers that.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bolted in my AVS notch, Installed for about a year before I took it out and welded a new one in.
did you have to drill your own holes?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts