GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have one of these? how do you like it? is it easy to use, how is the display, and where did you put it? thanks.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Ive done a few dozen installs of them and around 15 of just your type of truck. We put them towards the right side of the dash where the pas. airbag on/off is. Just unsnap the dash and run all the wires behind there, use a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive pad , alcohol prep the plastic, let it dry and let it fly. Mount the XM ant. right above the 3rd brake light or the rearview mirror and run the wire down the windsheild rubber, into the fender, and inside at the passenger side door boot. Be careful to avoid the door hinges and run it in the slit in the plastic of the door boot

the display is cool, but I like the SkyFi better, you can bring them in the house or wherever. Either way they are easy to use, and sound good with the wireless piece and even better on the wired modulator. Whatever you do, buy it from Best buy! :read:

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gabeherndon said:
I have one. I really like it too. Atleast I think it is the delphi roady. I don't know for sure. Here it is though...
xm.gif
that install is badass, how did you do that?

·
\m/ (-_-) \m/
1,204 Posts
its just on there with some 3m 2sided. Nothing too fancy. I didn't want to cut into it because I will want to take that out when I sell the truck.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blueice said:
buy it from me, i sell xm radio
how much you want for a tuner with car kit and FM modulator? i can get the roady kit on eBay for like $90, but i might have to try the skyfi since it fits so nicely in the overhead console.

gabeherndon said:
its just on there with some 3m 2sided. Nothing too fancy. I didn't want to cut into it because I will want to take that out when I sell the truck.
so you just stuck it in there where the filler panel goes? imma have to get me one of these consoles.

·
Registered
930 Posts
hovisimo said:
how much you want for a tuner with car kit and FM modulator? i can get the roady kit on eBay for like $90, but i might have to try the skyfi since it fits so nicely in the overhead console.
the roady is $119 and $149 with the fm modulator

skyfi with the road kit is $169 by itself its $99

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was hoping to get my head unit set up for it....but, eclipse has been "coming out with it" since last June....go figure. Is there a dipperence in sound quality with the fm modulated compared to the hardwire?

·
Registered
930 Posts
blwclvl said:
I was hoping to get my head unit set up for it....but, eclipse has been "coming out with it" since last June....go figure. Is there a dipperence in sound quality with the fm modulated compared to the hardwire?

as far as i know the sound quality is the same.

·
Registered
94 Posts
blwclvl said:
I imagine it could be from slight to severe depending on your fm antenna reception ability. Basicly the built in modulator broadcasts a FM signal and the antenna picks it up and sends it to the HU. With hardwire it just adds its signal to the rest of the signals coming from what the antenna already recieved, so I imagine no loss in quality. Where as the modulator could be from zero loss to a decent amount is my guess depending on the reception of the signal from the roady.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I got my sony XM unit off ebay for 36$, and a brand new car kit for another 40$ it came with the antenna, and dock, plus mounts and stuff. I bought it for my wifes car, but its the right size to fit into a gm truck's overhead console.

Sony_XM_Satellite_Radio_Receiver_Car_Assessory_Kit_Car_Stereos_Changers1-resized200.jpg

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blueice said:
the roady is $119 and $149 with the fm modulator
circuit city has the roady 2 w/ built-in FM mod and antenna for $116 so i think i'm gonna go that route.

·
9,823 Posts
we have that one too at BB

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have one in my Tahoe mounted where the onstar buttons are located. Plays through the tape deck for now and sounds great. The only thing i do not like is the plugs on the side. there is a cradle you can get that makes it easier to remove/install on XMfan.com

·
\m/ (-_-) \m/
1,204 Posts
I listen to my XM non-stop. I can honestly say I will never have another vehicle without XM radio. It is just awesome. I don't know the last cd I bought to be honest with you.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got it installed. i am not really impressed with XM, i hear a lot of repeats on XM music lab, which is their attempt at a jamband channel. this is my favorite kind of music so i'm a little disappointed, 9 out of 10 times when i turn it on it's genesis or king crimson. i can't find any channels i like to listen to consistently other than the news channels, and those have commercials. sirius' jamband channel is far superior. i may switch when they come out with a smaller receiver. sound quality is poor too, both the reception using the FM modulator and the quality of the satellite signal, everything sounds like a low-bitrate MP3, especially noticeable on news channels or when there is a lot of speaking. this has not been a good experience.

the display on my roady is screwed up, see the discoloration in the middle? gotta take it back to circuit city.
misc_040.jpg

·
9,823 Posts
gabeherndon said:
I don't know the last cd I bought to be honest with you.
same here

hovismo, sorry it is so bad for you, maybe you should have gotten it from Best Buy! jk. Did you try to turn up the audio out yet? Thats helps in alot of installs. Where did you put the antenna? Wondering what kinda reception issues your getting

1 - 19 of 19 Posts