GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, gonna catch some slack on this, but oh well. I wanna lift my 96 extended cab 1500 6-7" or enough to fit either 18x9's or 20x10's with 33's or 35's. I thought about selling the truck for a Z71, but since it was bought new I can't part with it, also gonna spend the Z71 funds on an 03 Cobra. I want to upgrade the looks on it and love the lifted look. I've searched and searched but can't find a definite answer. I love the look of dubsilverados old NBS truck with 20's and Mud grapplers. A body lift is out of the question for many reasons, but I do have some daystar 1.5" spacers sitting here. I'd love to run 18x9 moto metal 951's and 35" MG's but it looks like a 33" is the max I can go, are they going to look proportionly correct? I do go off roading very lightly back to my hunting spot, so the truck is not a total street queen. It also tows my bayliner boat all summer. I need quick help on this, b/c I wanna get this done in the next 2 weeks. Also, what backspacing and offset do i need? I don't want the wheels/tires to stick out a lot past the fenders, but I love the deep dish look on the 951's, but also considered the gunner 6's in a 20", as the lip is deep as well. The moto metals in 18x9 come in a -12mm offset with a 4.53 backspacing , or an 18mm offset with a 5.71 in backspacing. The 20's only come in 10" wide with -18mm offset and 4.79 backspace, which would work best? Sorry for the long post, but I can't find the info anywhere. Thanks

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
On OBS trucks, the Fabtech 7" kit is a decent kit. Get the kit that comes with lower and upper a-arms. The kit will align better and you'll get a little extra wheel travel and performance out of the lift. Since the kit comes with 3" longer coil springs, I would not recommend running coil spacers with a kit like this. Your angles will already be bad with the 3" coil lift and adding another 1-2" on top of that won't be good. You'll eat up ball joints, it'll ride worse, and the truck will be harder to align.

Each lift kit will specifically tell you what the maximum backspacing is that you can run. Most kits that involve spindles (like Fabtech's) are around 4.5" of backspacing, so I'd shoot for that number.

With the 7" Fabtech lift, you can clear 33's on 8" wide wheels. If you add fiberglass fenders or trim a lot, you can clear 35's on 8-9" wide wheels.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot, i've learned a lot from some of your other posts too. So I can't run a 9" wide wheel without fenders? What other trimming is needed besides the front valence?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
thanks a lot, i've learned a lot from some of your other posts too. So I can't run a 9" wide wheel without fenders? What other trimming is needed besides the front valence?
Fabtech makes a 7.5" Lift kit for your truck that uses longer spindles and drops the lower control arms down to accomplish the lift. This is MUCH better then then the control arm / coil kits. It clears 35" tires on an 8" rim just fine.

Also, I have a fabtech 4" spindle and Rough Country 2" coil with Fabtech upper A-arms (don't go this route) and I clear 35's with minimal rub at full lock.

Also, with 35's you will want a 4.56 or 4.88 gears, 4.10s with 33s.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
go with a 3 inch body and 4 inch spindles and you should clear 35s easy

Ive got rough country 4 inch spindles on my 95 2wd and i clear 33 swampers I had to trim a small piece of plastic

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Fabtech makes a 7.5" Lift kit for your truck that uses longer spindles and drops the lower control arms down to accomplish the lift. This is MUCH better then then the control arm / coil kits. It clears 35" tires on an 8" rim just fine.
That's right, I forgot they make a subframe kit for the OBS trucks now. This would definetly be the route to go.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
they have a guy selling a fabtech kit in the forsale section

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, yeah I don't want to do a body lift at all. My question still stands though, can I run a 9" wide 18" wheel with the fabtech 7.5"? Thanks

9,795 Posts
Tomorrow I will have picture of my buddies 95 Yukon lifted. He has 4" spindles, 3" coils and upper control arm. I will post them tomorrow.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tomorrow I will have picture of my buddies 95 Yukon lifted. He has 4" spindles, 3" coils and upper control arm. I will post them tomorrow.
cool, can't wait to see them.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah I don't want to do a body lift at all. My question still stands though, can I run a 9" wide 18" wheel with the fabtech 7.5"? Thanks

Yes you can. You may have to trim a little depending on your backspacing. BTW, if you get the subframe kit (I highly recommend you do) ditch the shocks that come with it, at least in the front, and get some Procomp ES9000 Shocks. Also, I recommend getting the Procomp 5" Leaf Spring Kit for the rear of your truck. I hate blocks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool, yeah the Moto Metals 18x9 come in a 4.53 backspacing, I guess that'll work. I also assume you all are referring to the 7" ultimate long travel system w/ dual front shocks instead of the 7.5" performance crossmember kit on fabtech's website? Thanks again for all the help.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Cool, yeah the Moto Metals 18x9 come in a 4.53 backspacing, I guess that'll work. I also assume you all are referring to the 7" ultimate long travel system w/ dual front shocks instead of the 7.5" performance crossmember kit on fabtech's website? Thanks again for all the help.
I am talking about he crossmember which IS the one you will want for your particular truck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks again, but one more question, how high is it gonna sit compared to a stock OBS Z71 or a 3" body lifted OBS Z71 truck?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anyone?

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
with 4 inch spindles and 33s i sit sit about an inch higher in the back than a z71 and a little higher than a z71 with ford keys

so with 7 inches it will look like on with a body lift

Picture163.jpg

Picture178.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts