GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have comparable packages on the site if you're interested. The most popular being the Poorboys Porter Cable Kit. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poudmpawfrit.html
It includes the machine, backing plate, orange and white pad to be paired w/ the ssr2.5 and ssr1 and also includes Nattys Paste Wax (light color vehicles, go w/ Nattys White, Dark colors, go Nattys Blue). And also includes your choice of towel (elite or glass) and an applicator pad for the Nattys Paste Wax.

Also have the Optimum Porter Cable Kit which is slightly different in that it has a sealant included as opposed to the carnauba wax. This one also includes their auto shampoo as well!
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opuldemapa.html

Then if you wanted any additional items, I could advise you on what you might need/want. These products are very easy to use, even if you've never used a machine before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will check it out.

The reason I am asking is I has a very nasty looking driver side rear fender on my 99 stepside and I am affraid it is from lack of a good detail and wax. I will post pics later today. I know it is to late for the fender and will need repainting (can not afford that right now) but I was hoping that maybe I could atleast protect the rest of the truck (since it look great still) and also keep the fender blemish from spreading (also hoping to fix some scratched that my wife left on my truck after running into it).

I will post some pics of the problem area when I get home tonight.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris maybe you can help me some more. (PM me if you need to) Here are the photos I was talking about.

This is just an over all shot to show that the truck still looks good for the most part.

IMG_1835.jpg

Here are the areas I am just dumbfounded on.

Drivers’ side rear fender - you can see some what I would call oxidation near the front-top part of the stepside fender and then you can see a really bad spot near the back

IMG_1839.jpg

Here is a close up of the really bad part (I know I can’t buff it out I just want to stop it from getting bigger like it has)

IMG_1841.jpg

Then this is the right front were my wife kind of rubbed her car into mine. (I think I can buff most of this one out) - Area near the molding and top left of the wheel well opening

IMG_1837.jpg

Any help on what I should get would get great. I need everything foam gun, soap, detail kit. I have nothing. normally get someone else to clean it but i am done with that I want to make her shine myself.

Thanks

Rip

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looks to Me like No polishing or buffing will fix that! Are there grooves in it that you can feel? If so you will probably have to repaint that bed side!

·
Registered
687 Posts
That bedside fender looks like clearcoat failure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definatly know the rear finder needs repainting. Just trying to protect the rest of the truck from getting like it and stoping the fender from growing. It was a lot smaller a few months ago.

I guess what I am asking is, if it is clear coat failure will detailing the truck stop this ftom happening to the rest of the truck.

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
polishing wont, no, waxing will. wax protects the surface. polishing just takes swirls out. but u should polish it anyways before u glaze/seal/wax. polishing however might diminish the appearance of it

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Ok, now I can see the pics :p That rear quarter does look shot. Like others have mentioned, it does appear to be a failure in the clearcoat. The area that your wife rubbed against should come out. It may need a more porous pad, like a yellow. I'll dig up a job I did w/ a similar situation.

So, if you want to do a whole setup, heres what I'll recommend.

Option E in foam gun group buy. Reason I recommend this one is that it includes the bucket and grit guard, an important aspect for routine washes. Grit Guards are simple, but very effective little gadgets to have.
Additionally, it has a gallon of quality soap and the necessary add-ons for doing a proper wash. Between the bug squash and apc, there really isnt much you wont be able to clean up. Both awesome items. And then that kit has the other essentials as well. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/fogungbope.html

Before we get back to the polishing part, consider claying the vehicle as well. If it sits outside all day long and is your daily driver, chances are, it can benefit from a good claying at this point. Although this step isnt "required" before polishing, its definitely highly recommended if its never been done before. It really does make a big difference and is an integral part of a full detail.
I'd go w/ either the elastic or 200g gray bar and a bottle of luber.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/clay-bars-and-lubricants.html

Now, as for the polishing part. I would still go w/ one of the kits mentioned above. If the truck sits outside all day long like you mentioned, you may want to do a more durable wax like collinite 845. I can put this in place of the nattys paste wax should you choose the poorboys kit. If you go w/ the optimum kit, the optiseal is plenty durable, so that wouldnt need substitution.

The rest of the paint looks to be in great condition, so I'm curious as to why that one area fell apart like it did. There is definitely good reason to maintain the rest of the truck like you're looking to do, and w/ some proper maintenance, I think you'll be just fine and the truck will continue to be in great shape for many years :shake:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Chris,

Sorry it took a day to reply I have been on a business trip and My Iphone was about dead.

The only reason I can think of on why the clear might have failed is the sun. My trucks sits in the drive way sometimes not moving for a couple weeks at a time since I carpool to work. and that finder gets the sun from about 6-7 am til the sun goes down. That fender when parked in the driveway points towards teh east with no shade around so it gets nice and baked. I just find it odd that it is the only part of the truck that is like that and the rest still looks good (besides the swirl marks and 10 years of use, light scratches).

So I guess I am doing my part for the economy when I purchase all this stuff. :roflmao:

But all kidding aside, I am going to look on your site and see what I will need. I like the suggestions you gave me but I don’t think I need half of the stuff on the foam gun kit. My wife will kill me if I go and spend 500 bucks on car wash stuff. But she is ok with around 3. So I will look at what you have to offer and PM you with what I think I need right now so we can discuss it.

I defiantly plan on claying the truck and my wife’s new car so I will defiantly get that. Just need to find some videos on how to do it since I never heard of it until about 1-2 weeks ago.

I am defiantly will be getting a PC kit so I can get the swirls out and protect the rest of my truck.

Thank you for your help.

The reason why I keep this thread alive instead of just PMing you was to help someone else that might have a similar problem.

I am hoping when I purchase all this stuff that I can take some before and after pics and maybe you can show people that even a beginner can make there ride look good. LOL (I hope if i dont mess up the paint more LOL)

Ok, now I can see the pics :p That rear quarter does look shot. Like others have mentioned, it does appear to be a failure in the clearcoat. The area that your wife rubbed against should come out. It may need a more porous pad, like a yellow. I'll dig up a job I did w/ a similar situation.

So, if you want to do a whole setup, heres what I'll recommend.

Option E in foam gun group buy. Reason I recommend this one is that it includes the bucket and grit guard, an important aspect for routine washes. Grit Guards are simple, but very effective little gadgets to have.
Additionally, it has a gallon of quality soap and the necessary add-ons for doing a proper wash. Between the bug squash and apc, there really isnt much you wont be able to clean up. Both awesome items. And then that kit has the other essentials as well. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/fogungbope.html

Before we get back to the polishing part, consider claying the vehicle as well. If it sits outside all day long and is your daily driver, chances are, it can benefit from a good claying at this point. Although this step isnt "required" before polishing, its definitely highly recommended if its never been done before. It really does make a big difference and is an integral part of a full detail.
I'd go w/ either the elastic or 200g gray bar and a bottle of luber.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/clay-bars-and-lubricants.html

Now, as for the polishing part. I would still go w/ one of the kits mentioned above. If the truck sits outside all day long like you mentioned, you may want to do a more durable wax like collinite 845. I can put this in place of the nattys paste wax should you choose the poorboys kit. If you go w/ the optimum kit, the optiseal is plenty durable, so that wouldnt need substitution.

The rest of the paint looks to be in great condition, so I'm curious as to why that one area fell apart like it did. There is definitely good reason to maintain the rest of the truck like you're looking to do, and w/ some proper maintenance, I think you'll be just fine and the truck will continue to be in great shape for many years :shake:

·
meow
15,748 Posts
For sure get a clay bar. I clayed for the first time last week :whoa: really cleans up the paint. Soooooo much smoother now :naughty:

If your on a small budget skip the PC :imo I hand wax mine. it sucks, but a PC is a lot of coin to me :imo

·
Registered
687 Posts
If your on a small budget skip the PC :imo I hand wax mine. it sucks, but a PC is a lot of coin to me :imo
Yes but he's not getting it to apply wax but for getting the swirls out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts