GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's the plan: My Spring Break starts March 22, so Saturday-Sunday, March 24-25, my K5 will be getting the 52" front spring treatment. I am looking forward to this, and completely comfortable with it. I also ordered a Detroit no-spin for the FF from SIKGMC(thanks again man) and it was also on the list for installs that weekend. However, after reading quite a few write-ups on it, I'm still not comfortable with this install, by myself at least. I really would like to not waste my money on a shop... but how much would you venture to guess a shop would charge?

Ideally, I would love to drive somewhere fairly close to Modesto, my home town, and meet someone and learn the process from someone with some experience. I'm not sure if that is an actual possiblity though. There are a couple guys in my 4x4 club here at school that would glady help me out, but I'm not sure I'm down for a 4+ hour drive one way on my break, plus gas would kill me.

There may be the suggestion of "just suck it up and do it yourself" but honestly I am not comfortable with it, and have never messed with differentials in any way other than changing a pinion seal and gear oil. I am just not too thrilled with the idea of risking messing something up, and potentially causing a real problem for myself, not to mention I currently have almost no money. I REALLY want to wheel it the following week, not spend $500 and have it sit in a shop for my only week I have to actually wheel it.

Let me know what you guys think..... thanks. Here she is:
IMAGE_00074.jpg

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Looks like its just a big ass lunchbox locker, unlike the full carrier replacements for smaller axles. I just looked at the both of them on www.eatonperformance.com and they basically do the same. No Spin vs. Full Detroit.
Here is my perception of the install.
pull cover and drain fluid.
check backlash and record it.
remove spanner lock tabs
lossen spanners to remove carrier and ring gear assembly. dont messup bearings or races
remove ring gear from carrier
split carrier in half
remove all spider gears and side gears from carrier.
put all back together with the parts form the No Spin. (get install instructions from www.eatonperformance.com)
put ring gear back on and torque bolts to spec
put carrier/ring gear assembly back into housing.
reset backlash, and provide enough Carrier Bearing Preload (CBPL)
Go have fun.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
marcus you forgot to mention to mark the spanners location before moving them, this will make getting your backlash back to spec a lot easier

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Yeah. Mark the spanners some way. If you dont have a dial indicater, make damned sure you mark em. its sort of hard to mark rm IMO. so do the best you can. Backleash is the easy part of gear setup.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
casey, tackle it yourself. like i said, i would be more than willing to help over the phone if i can. Its really a simple install as long as you take your time with it. I had NEVER done anything with gears before i did my 10b front, but it turned out fine...you just gotta start sometime. Seriously...this is the EASIEST thing you will ever do thats gear/carrier related.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Kool deal. im glad to see you want to tackle this job yourself. a 14 bolt is the easiest to work on of all axles imo.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
casey, tackle it yourself. like i said, i would be more than willing to help over the phone if i can. Its really a simple install as long as you take your time with it. I had NEVER done anything with gears before i did my 10b front, but it turned out fine...you just gotta start sometime. Seriously...this is the EASIEST thing you will ever do thats gear/carrier related.
I'm sure your phone will be ringing quite a bit. Thanks man.

Kool deal. im glad to see you want to tackle this job yourself. a 14 bolt is the easiest to work on of all axles imo.
So I've heard, and like Nick said I've got to start somewhere, I would like to get to the point where I can gear axles myself when needed. Thanks again for that link.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dang good to see!!! People helping people. :head:

I'm thinking of tackling my gears when I get them, and looking for somebody that knows more than I do around my parts. I'm just too hands on to give the shop soo much money for something that looks pretty simple. :D

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Casey i just did a quick map check for you.. Your roughly 192 miles from kyle and should get there in about 2 hrs 46 minutes. Good luck bor and post pics.

Kyle the No Spin id the same thing as a Detroit rigt? Just not with a case?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
The Detroit has been marketed as a no-spin for a long time, its just not very common as of late.

I think Casey said with his actual location in mind he's only 100 miles from me so it shouldn't be much of a drive.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Casey i just did a quick map check for you.. Your roughly 192 miles from kyle and should get there in about 2 hrs 46 minutes. Good luck bor and post pics.

Kyle the No Spin id the same thing as a Detroit rigt? Just not with a case?
Thanks Marcus, and yes from San Luis(where I go to school) it's about 200 miles, but my home town is Modesto, which is much further North. It works out to about 100 miles to Cupertino(I live on the far East edge of town). Not bad at all!

Thanks again Kyle. :head:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Oh and the SLO to Cupertino commute I can tell you is 187 miles, I did it this morning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts