GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started happening about a week ago. When I turn right at full lock and hit a bump it makes a God awful noise. Balljoints are good, hubs are good as far as I can tell, I have replaced my passenger inner/outer tie rod recently.

What do you think this is? Tie rods? Rack and pinion itself? Hub? I dont think anything is rubbing since nothing has changed suspension wise on this truck in many months.

Video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-iIDXdJM_4[/ame]

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
LOL holy crap. Have you checked the whole suspension while the wheels are at full lock to the right?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
You have a procomp on it right? Mine was noisey too when I had that lift...I'd check the subframe, make sure it's all torqued up appropriately. FYI When I took my lift off the factory "powdercoating" had chipped around where the strut braces and subframe braces bolted onto the drop brackets (obviously things moved, despite being torqued).

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why the hell are u going full lock over bumps?
because driving a knuckle lift truck means you have shit turn radius therefore full lock is required to make it through most stuff and the roads here suck. I just picked the driveway because I knew for sure it would do it then

LOL holy crap. Have you checked the whole suspension while the wheels are at full lock to the right?
yes, nothing rubs or anything

You have a procomp on it right? Mine was noisey too when I had that lift...I'd check the subframe, make sure it's all torqued up appropriately. FYI When I took my lift off the factory "powdercoating" had chipped around where the strut braces and subframe braces bolted onto the drop brackets (obviously things moved, despite being torqued).

I think its probably this, I need to get back under there and retorque stuff I guess and then see what happens

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also happens when turning left on the passenger side

Gonna torque stuff down and remove the sway bar

cant be anything else since everything on the passenger side has been replaced

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but it only happens when at full lock, not when I'm straight or even a 3/4 turn no noise but at full lock :uhoh:

I'll check the BJs when i get into it this weekend though.

·
Resident Asshole
11,055 Posts
If you grind them down, something else will hit. On my Nissan it was essentially just a bolt that went through the control arm and touched the spindle when you had it a full lock. It was only there to stop the tire/rim from rubbing on something that it shouldn't. What I did was found some hard plastic caps to go on the end of them. That stopped that metal on metal squeaking noise for a while but it would eventually rub through them.

·
pootin' soot
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:hmm: I'll have to take a look

I know some other procomp lift guys that grinded the steering stop and some knuckle for better turn radius

1 - 14 of 14 Posts