GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm really trying hard to get some extra cash on the side by doing small jobs. Fortunatley a co-worker is also a fire chief and wants me to do his truck, so i got that lined up. He also asked me about restoring headlights and POLISHING DIAMOND PLATE ON THEIR FIRE TRUCKS!!!

The headlight restore, I kinda caught the drift of it by watching a few videos from detailing websites and doesn't look like a difficult thing to do, but i'm sure on a expedition with all those fire lights i'll be tired. What products do you guys use, the videos i watched were recommending Pinnacle products.

Video: http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/headlight_demo.html

Diamond plate is the next thing up, would a PC be able to handle the job. What material pad would i need, i know the foam would get murdered, would i need like a wool pad? Does the plate have to be acid-washed, or can i just follow metalwerks product line to get it right, also saw a video on this.

Video: http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/wolfgang.html
The METALWERKS Section , is that diamond plate ?

Your help is really appreciated, this is big money for my wallet, but i can't let them down.

Thanks Guys!!!

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Diamond plate is a bitch but with the right stuff it is easier. It is messy though.

You may have to wetsand the headlights with 1000 then 2000 then buff them out. Then seal them up with some sealant. They will yellow again but this is one of the best ways to clean them up.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diamond plate is a bitch but with the right stuff it is easier. It is messy though.

You may have to wetsand the headlights with 1000 then 2000 then buff them out. Then seal them up with some sealant. They will yellow again but this is one of the best ways to clean them up.
Any specifics on the right stuff???

Agree on headlights, the video stated start off with 1K and then bump up all the way to 3K, polish, restore, seal. something like that.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
I dont know the names but some aluminum polishing wheels and some rouge in different levels is the way to go. It can be run on a rotary. I think my buddy bought everything he needed to do his toolbox for around $60-70 bucks including the kit to attach wheels to his rotary.

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
You got it pretty much covered. I buff semi wheels, tanks, stacks, boxes on a weekly basis. Its a messy and shitty job. I will do acid washes sometimes as a lot of the trucks I get are bad. Some diamond plate is coated also. They may clean up good with just a wash and QD. If you buff it, you will wear the finish off the box if that matters. I don't have the name of the polish I use off hand, its may by Wizards as I use their products at shop as there bodyshop safe. I don't know if a DA will cut it on it, never used it. Also used a rotary with a wool pad. Guess you could try a 3.5"/4" PFW with the DA an see? But plan to be working on that fire truck forever then, lol. I can't imagine doing all the firetrucks I've done with a DA.

Headlights are easy to do also. I've started with 600/800 before. Just work your way up. And like MeanGreenZ71 said just keep them sealed up.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got it pretty much covered. I buff semi wheels, tanks, stacks, boxes on a weekly basis. Its a messy and shitty job. I will do acid washes sometimes as a lot of the trucks I get are bad. Some diamond plate is coated also. They may clean up good with just a wash and QD. If you buff it, you will wear the finish off the box if that matters. I don't have the name of the polish I use off hand, its may by Wizards as I use their products at shop as there bodyshop safe. I don't know if a DA will cut it on it, never used it. Also used a rotary with a wool pad. Guess you could try a 3.5"/4" PFW with the DA an see? But plan to be working on that fire truck forever then, lol. I can't imagine doing all the firetrucks I've done with a DA.

Headlights are easy to do also. I've started with 600/800 before. Just work your way up. And like MeanGreenZ71 said just keep them sealed up.
any good places to get the pad from and can you verify the products used?

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
any good places to get the pad from and can you verify the products used?
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146678&highlight=acid+wash

Well if your doing it with the DA, then the 3.5"/4" purple foamed wool pad you can get at most online detailing stores (didn't see it on Chris's site though). Like I said I'm not sure how the DA will work as I've never used on aluminum. Here's the stuff I use...http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store/catalog/Metal-Renew-Liquid-Polish-32-oz-p-16.html It may be a little money, but we get a discount at the shop as we buy all their product line and a lot of it. If you have a local semi dealership near you, you may stop in there. Generally they will have an aluminum polish that will work nice.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Man... thats a big job. I HATE... I repeat... HATE polishing diamond plate, but it is much easier if you have the right stuff. Good luck, sounds like you've got the right plan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts