GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheres some good places to put diamondplate on the exterior of a OBS Black Z71 with a 3" BL? I know some of you are thinking... :banghead: but I kind of like the diamond plate look. My truck is black, with diamond plate tool box and bed caps, along with a diamond plate John Deere front plate. I was thinking is there something I can do with the undercarriage, like a diamondplate skidplate or something along the lines of that? I was thinking of putting it in between the gap in my bumper and the tailgate, but I'm getting the bumper kit. I'm mainly just shooting for ideas, and I want to add a cool custom touch with the diamond plate. :help:

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
Well I came up with this idea, but its kind of retarded. My dad has a err 71 chevy pick up and on his bumper the top part of his bumper has diamond plate..and I love it. It's whats on older style trucks but I like it. Just an idea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ever consider plating the visable parts of your frame? Like under the doors and all? A plasma cutter, grinder, and buffer with some rivits<---SP

or tack weld don't know...just a thought.
Might also look good in the bed...or polish a sheet and put it on the underside of your hood...Hmmm :superhack

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Golfboy26 said:
ever consider plating the visable parts of your frame? Like under the doors and all? A plasma cutter, grinder, and buffer with some rivits<---SP

or tack weld don't know...just a thought.
Might also look good in the bed...or polish a sheet and put it on the underside of your hood...Hmmm :superhack
Yeah I have considered a bunch of stuff like that, but I don't want to over do it, ya know?

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Southern Pride said:
thats where I got the original ideas of it, ekagalr1der!
elegalr1der, I think I might look into making my owns skid plate like yours. I don't build things to often but:
What tools did you use?
Any special things I need to know or look out for?
How long did It take you?
Does it require any major drilliing or welding?

I appreciate all of your inputs, thanks again

sp

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just cut it out of cardboard and measured the angle and had the shop I bought the diamond plate from cut and bend it. they only charged me $50 to cut and bend it.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
elegalR1der said:
I just cut it out of cardboard and measured the angle and had the shop I bought the diamond plate from cut and bend it. they only charged me $50 to cut and bend it.
How much would a strip of that diamond plate cost me?

·
Zombie Squad
1,244 Posts
haha thats awesome, my dad owns a heating and air conditioning company, so we have plasma cutters and all kinds of good metal cutting stuff(they use for making duct systems), and we have a bunch of presses and shears to bend and cut metal. And he has loads of diamond plate that I use to play with and make things out of when I was younger.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha thats awesome, my dad owns a heating and air conditioning company, so we have plasma cutters and all kinds of good metal cutting stuff(they use for making duct systems), and we have a bunch of presses and shears to bend and cut metal. And he has loads of diamond plate that I use to play with and make things out of when I was younger.
Now that is badass. Were going to use the shop at my school. The teacher has all kinds of badass stuff. Plasma Cutter, metal benders, etc. :) Does anyone know about how much a sheet of diamondplate would cost? Expensive?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The cost depends on size and if you want to use steel or aluminum. I went with pretty thick aluminum (1/4" thick),its expensive $250. You can get steel for cheap, but you would have to chrome it and its heavier.

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
elegalR1der said:
The cost depends on size and if you want to use steel or aluminum. I went with pretty thick aluminum (1/4" thick),its expensive $250. You can get steel for cheap, but you would have to chrome it and its heavier.
$250?? damn. I wont be doing the diamond plate thing for a while...:mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are thinking about sticking Diamond Plate all over your truck think again. I own a sign shop and we have a Diamond Plate printed vinyl. This stuff looks absolutely realistic, in fact I've had people touch it to see if it is real. This would be an advantage for you because, if you ever wanted to take it off you just peel it off. I've done both graphics and lettering with it and it is awesome. And it's a lot less expensive than the real thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts