GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the install closer and closer to being done on my 98. Question about shocks. With the suspention at full droop the body of the shock hits the upper control arm. Not bad but enough. Can the shocks in the cepek kit be run upside down, Rod end on the LCA and the body of the shock on the UCA??

I tried and they fit better but is the valving the same or different?

Thanks.

EDIT> Forgot to ask, for anyone who has installed the kit did you find it real hard to thread your tie rods into the rods? It seems like they powder coated the threaded area. Tips?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I ran my shocks upside down for awhile and then put them back the right way even though they made contact with the uca. I was afraid they wouldn't function right if they were upside down...some shocks you can do that but some you cant. My tie rod extension tubes were bad like that too. The powedercoating went down into the threads. One one tube it ended up crossthreading the a brand new tie rod. Ended up having to get cepek to send me a new tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine hit but its not really that big of a deal to me. it eventually starts to rust were it chips the paint away so be aware of that if you run then right side up.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
mine hit BAD, like its rub pretty deep into the shock so I dont know if its gunna start leaking or what

·
Registered
70 Posts
you could find a set of uppper control arms off of a 96 4x4 to use.these dont have as much bend as the 97-up uca.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Tie rods are not going into the rods, got someone to bring em into a machine shop tomorrow in hopes they have the taps to chase the threads. I stressed how one is reverse rotation. It seems as though that is going to hold me up.. There is mud drags this upcomming weekend and I sure hope to make it.

Anyone know the thread type for the tie rods? Metric or SAE?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd put money on metric.
That's kind of that I was thinking. Hope they can get it chased tomorrow. Kinda dissapointed in this issue. Shouldn't have to clean every threaded hope before use. A little grease in the hole and no worry of powder coat entering the threads, or chase the threads before finishing the job. :read:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called Extreme Suspention today and asked what kind of thread it was. Guy said 11/16th National Fine. The guy that brought the rods to work didn't have the right stuff so I called another machine shop and the guy as soon as I said one left and one right hand thread asked if it was for tie rods. Hopefully he will be able to get er done tomorrow.

Today I finished the rear block install with shocks. Installed the front impact struts from the stage 2 kit. Just have to cut the exhaust for the front driveshaft and then do the steering. Hopefully tomorrow night after work.
Will try to take a pic later on today.

·
Registered
604 Posts
They are supposed to hit there. It wont hurt anything. You have to have monotube shocks for them not to hit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I didn't have any problems with my tie rods but the X bracing they use for the stage 2 has about the same tubes and there was powder coat in mine. I just took a dremel and cleaned it out and took a few threads. I think I'm having the same problem with my stabilizer...they sent it late so i had the lift installed but i can't get the bolt into the tube that connects the two upper a arm drop brackets. :guns: Not much room to work in there after its all on either!

I haven't had any problems with my UCA hitting my shocks....try setting your bump stops like mentioned above.

They are supposed to hit there. It wont hurt anything. You have to have monotube shocks for them not to hit.
Mine don't hit nor do i think they should ever hit..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it's driveable now. Looks funny with only 285's on it though.
Local exhaust place is going to hopefully get it fixed up friday so I can use 4x4. Running some mud drags this weekend.
As for the shocks hitting, they are still upside down at the moment, didn't turn em around yet.
Future plans are 4.56 gears, springs for the rear to replace the blocks, 37's.
Just gave it a quick alignment so I can get it to the shop. Washed it too.
Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I had the same problem with my Cepek lift when I first installed it, the control arm was hitting the shock and denting the tube. I called Extreme and they had no solution. Unfortunately in New Jersey you can not have this and pass NJ inspection. So I had to have a custom shock mount made up to remedy the problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts