GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a set of 38x15.5r16.5 tires...i want the smoothest thing possible.. dick cepek, mickey thompson, witch super swamper??? :think: and where to look for them at a good price??? :shake:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
dick depeck is now make by mickey thompson :read: I dont think I would be looking at them for a great ride. As much as I hate to say it, look at Swamper STS

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Dick Cepek Fun countries are great tires, very smooth. I had them in 17x40 on a previous truck and loved the ride.

·
6,656 Posts
they no longer make them though, MT does and Ive heard of people getting bad vibs with them. I have no personal experiance, but I do know they arnt the tire you used to have.

BTW were those on your yota? I would have loved to see that thing!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does mickey thompson suck???/ :think: i've heard good and bad... just seems they would ride better since they aren't as aggressive???

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
they make nice tires and good rims. the baja belted would be your best choice if you want a mickey thompson tire in that size range. the baja belted comes in a 36 and a 39. I had the 33" baja claws and hated them. They looked nice and performed good in the sand, but the tread lugs wore really uneven in the front, and i had to rotate my tires often. They were really loud on the freeway, which i didn't mind, but passengers hated it. They were also pretty bouncy when you were moving at slow 3-10mpg speeds.

They make the baja claw in a 38.5" size.
The baja claw radial will be a lot smoother on the road, but i think the biggest size is a skinny 37.

How about the super swamper ssr, in a 38"?
I think super swamper makes a radial in a 38" too, but i don't know if it's for a 16" rim.
The sts will give you the most mileage and the best ride :imo

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would go with the sts but man they are high!!!! :nono: anyone know where to get the best deal... 4wp's wants almost $2000!!! i'd like em if i could afford em.... :D

·
6,656 Posts
thornbirds are AWEFUL, interco has stopped making them actually.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
then i guess i'll have to get the sts's.... i've actually heard good things about those things....i'm gonna give them a shot...thanks guys! :rocking:

·
Registered
246 Posts
georgiagiant4 said:
i would go with the sts but man they are high!!!! :nono: anyone know where to get the best deal... 4wp's wants almost $2000!!! i'd like em if i could afford em.... :D
The mickey thompson's are just as high arent they? I guess me and you will find out at the same time if we like them, since mine should be here any day, but just for the record i loved the noise of the mickeys but that was the only thing, dont think that I will ever buy another set of those tires :nono:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
why do you want to run 16.5" rims?

and the sts in a 38x14.50R16.5 size are only $324. Thats $1300, plus $90 tax and $40 to mount and balance. If my calculations are right, that only adds up to $1,430.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they were on it when i bought it and i like the wheels so i don't wanna replace em... :ninja:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.