GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really liked the chrome impact bar so some $25 3m gloss black vinyl solved that for me. First time working with vinyl and I'm pretty happy with the results. The color is a decent match. Under florescent light you can see that the vinyl has a bit of a milk brown tint to it. Let me know what you think.

uploadfromtaptalk1382921478366.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Looks pretty good from what I can see. The color seems to match up pretty well. I can't notice a difference from the picture.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks good! I just bought some to do the same thing. how did you install the vinyl? did you take off the whole bumper? What did you do for the middle air hole? Cut two pieces?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I just used one piece. It's definitely a two person job. Have a buddy slowly heat the vinyl while you stretch it into place. As far as the air hole I laid everything down as normal around it then I heated the center real good while I pushed the material in. Then I just trimmed it. I used a sock so that I wouldn't burn my hand and smudge the vinyl. Let me know if that helped you picture the process.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did you take the piece off of your truck or leave it on? Did you use any soapy water to apply or just heat?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did something similar to my Dmax! I had it powder coated

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you take the piece off of your truck or leave it on? Did you use any soapy water to apply or just heat?
No I left the bumper on but I did take off the grille. I used a heat gun.

I did something similar to my Dmax! I had it powder coated
Came out really nice. I wasn't sure if I wanted to powder coat since I wasn't sure if I would truly like it. I'm going to rock it like this for a bit and then powder coat it. How much did they charge you by the way?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I paid about $90 to have it blasted and coated!

I live it- beats the heck out of the chrome!

Now I just need some 20x10 bmf repr's and 305/50 nitto 420's! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
rear bumper!

I'm going to either buy a new stocked and have it coated or ill roll pan it :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid about $90 to have it blasted and coated!

I live it- beats the heck out of the chrome!

Now I just need some 20x10 bmf repr's and 305/50 nitto 420's! :D
You and me both brother lol and $90 isn't bad did you have to take the bumper off or the shop did it for you?
rear bumper!

I'm going to either buy a new stocked and have it coated or ill roll pan it :)
Yup rear bumper is next for me. I'll probably do it Sunday with vinyl again.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,152 Posts
how is powder coating a bumper even remotely similar to vinyl wrapping it?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks good!

I'll be covering pretty much all the chrome on my truck as soon as I find a decent match for sheer silver. I'll probably do the mirrors and dash pieces in vinyl as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is my impact bar wrapped. Next is my HD grille that is sitting in the garage. The vinyl comes monday I'll have it done tuesday.
29316583-3224-434a-bc01-22eed400b5a6_zpsc44dbbf7.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here is my impact bar wrapped. Next is my HD grille that is sitting in the garage. The vinyl comes monday I'll have it done tuesday.
29316583-3224-434a-bc01-22eed400b5a6_zpsc44dbbf7.jpg
I can't tell from the pic but is your truck silver? If so what vinyl did you use for the color match? I've found a few vinyl colors that're close but nothing close enough to put on my truck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts