GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today i changed out my spark plugs and added some new spark plug wires...i think im going to buy a new distributor cap tomorrw....but yeah ill post a pic of one of my plugs cause its soo fucked...i mean the shape it was in is soo bad...it was cracked on both sides...like hella cracked...

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Make sure you do the rotor as well.....

Cameron

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I don't think you have a distributor cap...

I started flushing my cooling system today..wahoo....new belt, maybe hoses and a new thermostat coming later this week..wahoo...and alll new antifreeze.

EDIT: OH you're talking about the '92...:banghead:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Physh1 said:
Make sure you do the rotor as well.....

Cameron

im still learning..im not too great with my truck yet..what do you mean rotor.....???

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Its the part inside the cap that spins around. Just tell the parts guy you need a cap and rotor, he'll know what you mean, and once you get it off, you'll know what to do (just pull straight up on it and it will come off, then push the new one back on) :) Don't disconnect all the wires at once either...one at a time...

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Joshs2002Silverado said:
im still learning..im not too great with my truck yet..what do you mean rotor.....???
Inside the distributor cap there is a rotor that spins on the distributor shaft. This rotor distributes spark energy to each of the 8 points from the center point (which is where the spark energy comes from the coil. Most replacement distributor caps include a new rotor....it's very easy to install.

Cameron

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are they expesive...i will have to wait till i get my paycheck to do it either way....but also are there any good mods for the tbi engines that are of reasonable price and have a good pay off....

are headers worth getting...or will al they do is make it loud....and im not sure but i dont know if i will pass smog here in cali....but let me know ...and thanks for the help so far

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Joshs2002Silverado said:
are they expesive...i will have to wait till i get my paycheck to do it either way....but also are there any good mods for the tbi engines that are of reasonable price and have a good pay off....

are headers worth getting...or will al they do is make it loud....and im not sure but i dont know if i will pass smog here in cali....but let me know ...and thanks for the help so far
Usually 20-30 for a cap/rotor kit.

There are plenty of street legal headers for your truck. Really headers tend to quiet exhaust notes overall since ideally they improve exhaust flow and make it less restrictive. They do make power....

Do you currently have any mods done to your TBI now?

Cameron

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the mods on the truck now are:
-exhaust
-pulleys
-tb spacer
-hypertech chip
-k&n drop in filter
-and one of those Filter lifters
-and now the taylor wires

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
here are a few pics...they are 2 seperate cracks on either side of the plug

·
180k & still > 4.8 Rams
24 Posts
I think the cap and rotor was under $20 for me when I did mine a month or two ago. Id also like to know what people think of doing headers on these trucks. I will be tearing mine apart this summer to replace the head gaskets, and if they cheap enough, Ill do them while I have it apart.

Also slowsierra93 suggested an edelbrock 3704 intake... from what Ive found they run around $220 and work the OEM equipment... Im thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
JoeliusZ28 said:
I think the cap and rotor was under $20 for me when I did mine a month or two ago. Id also like to know what people think of doing headers on these trucks. I will be tearing mine apart this summer to replace the head gaskets, and if they cheap enough, Ill do them while I have it apart.

Also slowsierra93 suggested an edelbrock 3704 intake... from what Ive found they run around $220 and work the OEM equipment... Im thinking about getting one.

I have the Hooker Competition Series headers on mine, and I love them.

The Edel intake is a good mod, but I'd recommend you do a cam swap while you have the intake off. If you're patient, you can find the 3704's on ebay for around $100.

·
180k & still > 4.8 Rams
24 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
JoeliusZ28 said:
Is a hotter cam a good idea on truck with 180k on it?

oh and are your hookers, longtubes, mids or shorties? (doing research as I speak) and will they bolt up to the stock y-pipe/exhaust?

edit: found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2467354243&category=33631

are there any headers out there that will work with the stock y-pipe, or would that just be a waste?

That all depends on the condition of the motor. With a blown head gasket, I'd go ahead and rebuild the bottom end as well. I highly recommend the Crane 2030 cam.

The Hooker's are long tubes. I would never run a shortie on a TBI motor unless you have clearance issues, like a 4/6 drop or lower. The stock y-pipe is the most restrictive piece of the entire exhaust system, with the exception of the "pancake" style cat. If you need to get shorties, get the Edelbrock y-pipe too.

That's a great deal on those headers! They will only work on 88-95 trucks though. Summit sells that exact header for $320; so I'm not sure where he got the $439.95 from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts