GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,196 Posts
JoeliusZ28 said:
I think the cap and rotor was under $20 for me when I did mine a month or two ago. Id also like to know what people think of doing headers on these trucks. I will be tearing mine apart this summer to replace the head gaskets, and if they cheap enough, Ill do them while I have it apart.

Also slowsierra93 suggested an edelbrock 3704 intake... from what Ive found they run around $220 and work the OEM equipment... Im thinking about getting one.

I have the Hooker Competition Series headers on mine, and I love them.

The Edel intake is a good mod, but I'd recommend you do a cam swap while you have the intake off. If you're patient, you can find the 3704's on ebay for around $100.

· Registered
2,196 Posts
JoeliusZ28 said:
Is a hotter cam a good idea on truck with 180k on it?

oh and are your hookers, longtubes, mids or shorties? (doing research as I speak) and will they bolt up to the stock y-pipe/exhaust?

edit: found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2467354243&category=33631

are there any headers out there that will work with the stock y-pipe, or would that just be a waste?

That all depends on the condition of the motor. With a blown head gasket, I'd go ahead and rebuild the bottom end as well. I highly recommend the Crane 2030 cam.

The Hooker's are long tubes. I would never run a shortie on a TBI motor unless you have clearance issues, like a 4/6 drop or lower. The stock y-pipe is the most restrictive piece of the entire exhaust system, with the exception of the "pancake" style cat. If you need to get shorties, get the Edelbrock y-pipe too.

That's a great deal on those headers! They will only work on 88-95 trucks though. Summit sells that exact header for $320; so I'm not sure where he got the $439.95 from.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.