GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
GMC Owner
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to gas prices and such, im considering switchin to a diesel. What kinda of fuel mileage do you diesel guys get and hoe much do programmers like bully dogs and edge help?

·
Formerly whitetrash
1,630 Posts
It's a dodge, but just for shits and giggles...

14-16 around town and 21+ on the highway.

·
Truck Nut
169 Posts
I average 15 around town! 20's on the trips and about in between there for towing!

www.dieselpace.com is the best place to answer any dmax questions you have!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
my dad has an 07 classic duramax....stock he was getting around 15....with the edge and afe intake....he gets 23-34.
GF's dad has an 04 dmax with a programmer.. He averages 16-17 in town and 24+ on trips.
HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Thats the funniest shit I have ever read. Their going by the read out huh? Well its wrong or they can't do math cause a V-8 diesel will not get that unless they are going down hill with the a/c off drafting behind a 18 wheeler.
A programmer and the Edge will mess up the reading cause of timing advances and etc.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
keep in mind, the added cost for the diesel engine alone will take quite a bit to equal out over the increased fuel mileage you get.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
keep in mind, the added cost for the diesel engine alone will take quite a bit to equal out over the increased fuel mileage you get.
:read:

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,775 Posts
werd to todd. programmers will fuck up the dic readout. the only one that will read right is EFIlive if done right. Im on my first tank with the 37s and Im getting 12.9 with my 37s. thats about 70% in town so far.

oh and diesel is over $3 here :nono:

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

Thats the funniest shit I have ever read. Their going by the read out huh? Well its wrong or they can't do math cause a V-8 diesel will not get that unless they are going down hill with the a/c off drafting behind a 18 wheeler.
A programmer and the Edge will mess up the reading cause of timing advances and etc.
Couldn't tell you how he figures it. I've asked him what he gets and that's what he told me. He has no reason to lie so no idea.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i average about 16mpg between highway and city driving...and i dont drive like a grandma either....5" turbo back straight exhuast with edge evo on 34s.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Parents 05 CTD 4x4 gets 17-18 with a pretty highway/town mix biased a little towards in town.

Deisel is $3.15 here, regular is $3.29, finally:anitoof:

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
my dad has an 07 classic duramax....stock he was getting around 15....with the edge and afe intake....he gets 23-34.
I assume that's a typo, b/c noone is getting 34mpg in a fullsize, let alone an HD....

Via DIC I'm getting roughly 15mpg. ~18mpg highway, ~13-14mpg city. Haven't gotten any tuner (yet), truck is 100% stock w/87k on 285s (~7%+ vs DIC). Am only on my 2nd fillup, so haven't started the new log in the PDA yet. Once that's started, I can give lifetime avg.

Diesel is $2.85 @ Flying J (reg $3.1x), $3.09 @ Chevron ($3.2x reg). FJ is about 5mi farther away, but between saving ~$4/fillup and knowing I'm not getting diesel that's sat for a long time, it's worth it.

I'll be interested to know how it may change once I change all the fluids and such.

-bZj

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I assume that's a typo, b/c noone is getting 34mpg in a fullsize, let alone an HD....

Via DIC I'm getting roughly 15mpg. ~18mpg highway, ~13-14mpg city. Haven't gotten any tuner (yet), truck is 100% stock w/87k on 285s (~7%+ vs DIC). Am only on my 2nd fillup, so haven't started the new log in the PDA yet. Once that's started, I can give lifetime avg.

Diesel is $2.85 @ Flying J (reg $3.1x), $3.09 @ Chevron ($3.2x reg). FJ is about 5mi farther away, but between saving ~$4/fillup and knowing I'm not getting diesel that's sat for a long time, it's worth it.

I'll be interested to know how it may change once I change all the fluids and such.

-bZj
this was calculated miles/gallons....not using the DIC.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
BS, no way is he getting 23-24mpg. My truck stock is getting 18-19 hand calculated every fill up and I've been pretty easy on it. But there is no way that he got an 8-9 mpg improvement with a programmer.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A family friends 2500 D-max when i drove it all highway got 21.5 mpg that was calculated with GPS mileage and gallons from the pump.

Now figure in the added cost of diesel fuel, and the extra maintenance costs, and the initial extra price... and well it takes a while to get your money back in the better mileage if you ever do, Unless you tow and need the power. If you want a diesel because of the awesome power thats another story.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
When calculating mileage most ppl don't "top off" their tank. They just hang the nozzle back up after the first click. But you have to get the diesel to the top of the neck where its about to pour on the ground each time you fill up to get a correct calculation.

·
Must be lost..
1,148 Posts
my 06 duramax with 325/60r18's gets about 13 in town, 18-20 on freeway unloaded and easy on it. I wouldnt buy one if you are looking to save money on fuel, maintainance and the higher price per gallon overweigh any difference in mpg. Going from my 04 z71 to this i spend more on the diesel.

That said, I love my truck and the power and smile it puts on your face, overweighs the fact that it costs me alot more to drive

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Due to gas prices and such, im considering switchin to a diesel. What kinda of fuel mileage do you diesel guys get and hoe much do programmers like bully dogs and edge help?
If you want better mileage, gear down to 4.56, and replace the flowmasters with a flow-through muffler such as the Dynomax bullet because Flowmasters don't really flow that well. If you are running duals and don't have a X-over pipe, get one. Also replace the air filter with a Wix or K&N unit if you haven't already done so.

Selling your truck for diesel would be a bad move like mentioned because it would take a long time for it to pay for itself. You knew what you were getting into when you bought that truck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I get like 14-15 in town with my lb7, and about 18 hwy. But I also wouldn't get a diesel because of mileage, it takes somewhere around 200,000 miles to offset the difference in price.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts