GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much are you guys with diesels noticing your gas milage changing with a lift.. i just bought a new 06 diesel 4x4 cc and thinking of lifting it like my 1500 was but i got horrible mpg with it.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
To answer your question, a lift will have no effect at all. Its when you change your tire size and dont regear that it goes to shit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was just wondering with diesels torgue and hp if it made as much of an impact as it would with say a 1500 gasser. I lost about 10mpg when i lifted mine and regeared for an example.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
My dodge mileage went up a bit after going to 35's due to the lower revs at freeway speeds and 4.10 gears... But yeah if you go with a 10" lift and 38's then of course it will go down.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
To answer your question, a lift will have no effect at all. Its when you change your tire size and dont regear that it goes to shit.
Any lift will change fuel mileage. You are taller and more air can get under the vehicle to slow you down, so it will affect fuel mileage.

·
Go Gators!
521 Posts
Even though mine is only lifted 2-1/2 inches, I just put 35inch Mud Grapplers on it this weekand and I noticed maybe a 1 mpg decrease...but then again I was running AC the whole time and hawling ass. Took it a little slower on the way home and didnt run AC and got about 1-2 mpg.

K. Hood

·
Go Gators!
521 Posts
nice sounds good southern2500 not a big difference there at all ;-) what i like to hear.
Yeah, in all honesty I think each truck is differant. My buddy has a stock 07 Cummins an averages around 20mpg, but when mine was stock I was only hitting maybe 16mpg on my harder driving and babying it and staying around the speed limit and not going over 2k rpm on takeoffs I was around 17-18. Its pretty much a hit or miss on diesels. I think theres guys that are getting very high numbers on stock powerstrokes and duramaxs and then theres some that cant get anywhere close to that.

If you go to get one, test drive it for awhile and drive it like you would normally and see what the reading says, if its high you might get lucky and pick up one that just rocks on mpg...I didnt pay attention to mine when I test drove it, the gas light was on and the sales guy was laughing at the thought of us running out of gas, so I was concentrating on hitting a station asap.

k.hood

·
elitest hd owner
430 Posts
i was getting 19.5 stock . now i get 17 with the mods and lift. however the faster i go above 65-67 it drops FAST. if i go 78-80 i estimate it getting about 13. 85 is probably single digits

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
It will effect your mileage but not in the same way it did your 1500. You are right about the having more power part. The amount of torque in a diesel makes it not have to work as hard to get them going and keep them up to speed.

BTW, how you liking that diesel. I love mine. 18.5 mpg :head:

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
i woudlnt go by what the digital read out says for your MPG, figure it manually with gallons/miles :imo

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
That's how I get mine. My readout says 16.7, but hand calculated I get 18-19 depending on my driving habits. Usually I stay right at 18.5.

·
Tickle Me ****
524 Posts
The best I ever saw stock with just the predator on economy was around 19mpg. With all the mods I've seen 12-14mpg depending on driving habits and speed, of course. The last week with mostly city driving and only about 100 miles highway at 70mph I got a little over 14mpg, which is basically what I got with my 2000 Z71 on 35s. Gotta love the diesels!

·
Registered
604 Posts
yeah i was just wondering with diesels torgue and hp if it made as much of an impact as it would with say a 1500 gasser. I lost about 10mpg when i lifted mine and regeared for an example.
Damn! Something must have been wrong. I lost 2mpg when i lifted 10" & went up to 38.5 Boggers ON 3.73s!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts