GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I plan to get a older model diesel truck. I don't plan to do any hauling/towing whatsoever. I purely want one for fun factor cause it's turbo power. It will occasionally do road trips, but no so much daily unless I have to. I've read that that diesels typically need to be warmed up at least 10 mins or so before driving it around. I assume it can be driven like non-diesel truck regardless right? I appreciate anyone's opinions or advice. Thanks!

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
yeah...they have gas and brake pedals just like regular trucks. honestly, if you're just buying a diesel because it has a turbo, you're buying it for the wrong reason.

What fun factors are you speaking of? A turbo setup on an LS motor will be more fun than on a diesel unless you are getting a compound or twin setup. Emissions really kill mpg on diesels and you will need tunes after deleting the emissions. I was getting around 21-24mpg in my 01 sierra 5.3/4l60e on the highway.

I only bought a diesel because I tow heavy...often and most gas vehicles can't handle 15k lbs+ towing mainly due to torque and weaker transmissions depending on the terrain.

Reactions: ShuttleMonkey

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah...they have gas and brake pedals just like regular trucks. honestly, if you're just buying a diesel because it has a turbo, you're buying it for the wrong reason.

What fun factors are you speaking of? A turbo setup on an LS motor will be more fun than on a diesel unless you are getting a compound or twin setup. Emissions really kill mpg on diesels and you will need tunes after deleting the emissions. I was getting around 21-24mpg in my 01 sierra 5.3/4l60e on the highway.

I only bought a diesel because I tow heavy...often and most gas vehicles can't handle 15k lbs+ towing mainly due to torque and weaker transmissions depending on the terrain.
I understand where you are coming from. The practical use of a diesel truck for my intentions are not ideal. I'd like a diesel truck because of it's engine capabilities turbo being the main reason.

Or else I'd just get any other typical gasser v8 truck.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
waste IMO

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just get a ole v10 and turbo or super charge it. There no use in having a diesel if you don't tow. Up keep is more pricey fuel is pricey and most of all parts are way more if something wears our and or breaks

·
cunts
2,742 Posts
If you want a diesel get a diesel IMO. I only haul for work, and if I didn't have to haul I would still drive it because IDGAF about internet people's opinions.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,644 Posts
Just get a ole v10 and turbo or super charge it. There no use in having a diesel if you don't tow. Up keep is more pricey fuel is pricey and most of all parts are way more if something wears our and or breaks
did you just say to get a fuckin' v10?

you need to stop posting.

Reactions: Billy95 and Loki

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
^^IMO

·
5,644 Posts
Hey all, I plan to get a older model diesel truck. I don't plan to do any hauling/towing whatsoever. I purely want one for fun factor cause it's turbo power. It will occasionally do road trips, but no so much daily unless I have to. I've read that that diesels typically need to be warmed up at least 10 mins or so before driving it around. I assume it can be driven like non-diesel truck regardless right? I appreciate anyone's opinions or advice. Thanks!

so, your first problem lies in that you want an older turbo deezol, unless you go with a first gen powerstroke or a cumminGs, your GM choice is a 6.5 and you don't want that, they were somewhat reliable stock, until they broke then they're a pain in the dick. Once you start messing with it and turning up the pump and shit, you can kiss reliability good bye, unless you like doing headgaskets, and at 180hp, they were slow as shit.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
so, your first problem lies in that you want an older turbo deezol, unless you go with a first gen powerstroke or a cumminGs, your GM choice is a 6.5 and you don't want that, they were somewhat reliable stock, until they broke then they're a pain in the dick. Once you start messing with it and turning up the pump and shit, you can kiss reliability good bye, unless you like doing headgaskets, and at 180hp, they were slow as shit.
But OP wants fun with turbo :read:

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
DNW 6.5...drove many weekass m1008 m1009's in my time...no balls

·
5,644 Posts
DNW 6.5...drove many weekass m1008 m1009's in my time...no balls
I bet you got stuck in a bunch of 6.2s over the years

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
yup

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
we ran all ours with JP-8 not regular diesel

·
cunts
2,742 Posts
we ran all ours with JP-8 not regular diesel
Doesn't JP8 have less energy than #2? Like the equivalent of 87 octane vs race gas?

·
5,644 Posts
Doesn't JP8 have less energy than #2? Like the equivalent of 87 octane vs race gas?
Do you even know the difference between gasoline and diesel?

·
GMFS founding member
4,007 Posts
I think yo
I don't plan to do any hauling/towing whatsoever. I purely want one for fun factor cause it's turbo power.
turbo power? E63s have more fun factor than F13s and don't have turbo power. just buy an electric turbocharger.

this is what happens when 3rd gen Rams are so cheap homeless people can afford them.

·
5,644 Posts
I think yo

turbo power? E63s have more fun factor than F13s and don't have turbo power. just buy an electric turbocharger.

this is what happens when 3rd gen Rams are so cheap homeless people can afford them.
except for 5.9s with low mileage, we had an '05 QCSB traded in with 79k, they took it to auction and turned down 30k, then ended up selling it outright on our lot for 32k

1 - 20 of 38 Posts